Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you let your kids play with guns or swords?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:37 PM
  • 42 Replies
1 mom liked this

http://crappypictures.com/2012/04/guns-swords-yay.html

Before I had kids, I thought parents who let their kids play with toy guns were...misguided. I judged them. And I judged them hard. 

Swords were sorta okay in my mind though. Swords are somehow better than guns. Why is that? All the parents I know are 732% more likely to buy their kids toy swords than toy guns. I guess it might have something to do with kids not killing each other with swords when they grow up. So they seem safer? More socially acceptable?

Still. Don't fall for this line of deception. Swords suck. 

I don't buy either one for my kids. But it doesn't matter. They make them. Tinkertoys, LEGO, sticks, paper towel rolls. All of these things can be easily fashioned into advanced weaponry. 

But I'm going to let you in on my dirty little secret. I much prefer guns.

Well, the handmade ones at least. (My former pre-kids self would be appalled! Don't tell her. I hate it when she judges me.) 

This is why guns are better. Using LEGO® as their gun material:

It is a proximity thing.

See how they can be across a room, safely killing each other? Handmade guns don't actually work. Nobody gets hurt. Awesome!

But with LEGO® swords it is like this: 

gunsswords2

Too close. They hit the swords together. They hit each other. Handmade swords work! Which means they get hurt. Swords suck.

Yay toy guns! Or...wait, what am I saying here exactly? That can't be right.

Sigh. Parenting is confusing. (Tell that to my former pre-kids self. Also tell her to sleep in while she still can.)

DO YOU LET YOUR KIDS PLAY WITH GUNS OR SWORDS? 

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HetherElizabeth
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:42 PM
Yes to both. We teach gun safety ds knows what to do if he ever sees a "bullet gun". His father and I both have our ccw we would prefer to have a gun and not need it then to not have one and need it to protect our selves and family. The younger you teach gun safety the better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frankiesma530
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:45 PM

lmao @ those pics

she plays swords

ragitty
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Yes I let my 2yo play with toy guns and toy swords. I buy him foam swords, so they do not hurt in a sword fight and he is far less likely to fashion a makeshift sword out of something thst would hurt (like a stack of legos). I also but him water guns, and will buy him nerf guns when he is older if that is something that interests him. I understand why some moms are against them, but I have no problem with them.

Side note--love the pictures!!

MrsCorky
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:52 PM
3 moms liked this
My 6 yo has a pink .22 rifle. It stays locked in the gun safe and the gun itself locks. Dh keeps both keys on his personal key chain. We are very big on hunting and believe in teaching gun safety at an early age.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsCorky
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:53 PM
Just realized I am probably gunna get ripped apart for this.

Quoting MrsCorky:

My 6 yo has a pink .22 rifle. It stays locked in the gun safe and the gun itself locks. Dh keeps both keys on his personal key chain. We are very big on hunting and believe in teaching gun safety at an early age.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deccaf
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:57 PM

I have a girl, so I thought this wouldn't come up.  I didn't even think about what happens when we go to visit my grandson.... This is just one example....

deccaf
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Not everyone is against guns.  I grew up in a hunting community, where the first day of deer season was an excused absence from school

Quoting MrsCorky:

MrsCorky
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:08 PM
Goo to know we aren't the only ones that do that lol

Quoting deccaf:

Not everyone is against guns.  I grew up in a hunting community, where the first day of deer season was an excused absence from school

Quoting MrsCorky:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mollymae09
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:12 PM
He can have toy guns. But they are never to be pointed at anyone. Target shoot all you want... But don't aim at someone. It's better to have that drilled into you at a young age then have to adapt your habits later.

Yes I feel very passionately about this. I saw my father get shot when I was 13 because someone pointed an 'unloaded' gun at him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TruthSeeker.
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Guns no

Swords yes

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)