Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Help! Competitive Brothers and Arguing

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:02 PM
  • 23 Replies
So I have an almost 3 y/o and an almost 5 y/o and they fight CONSTANTLY! Everything is a competition and someone always ends up upset. Everything from who pushes the elevator button to who ate more food to races up the stairs. It makes going anywhere or doing anything unbearable. I'll be in a great mood and ready to go to the park or museum and then they scream at each other for 20 minutes on who won getting into their seat first and I just want to go back home! Any advice on how to stop this? I feel like I have tried everything!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
corrinacs
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:03 PM

I dont' know, but I have a feeling this is going to be my life in a few years.  Looking forward to any headwind on this one!

foistela
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 7:08 AM

My sister's two kids are like this. I can't imagine having to deal with that. I would just tell them ahead of time what you expect out of them. If you are getting ready to eat dinner, say "There will be no fighting while we eat" etc.

Owner of 

Admin of Fall 2008 babies

PEEK05
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Sorry, I have no idea. :( I hope it gets better.

Bmama1
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 1:56 PM
My thoughts exactly!

Quoting corrinacs:

I dont' know, but I have a feeling this is going to be my life in a few years.  Looking forward to any headwind on this one!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2012 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not sure but my sister and I were like this until high school.  We were just shy of 2 years apart.  We are best friends now :)  I think maybe if you anticipate what is going to cause the issue in a particular situation you can manage it ahead of time.  For example if you are going somewhere with an elevator, in the car say something like "okay guys, when we get to the elevator _____ gets to push the "up" button and then _______ can push the number button"  when we leave, the opposite, or something like that.  My son does really well when I lay out the expectations ahead of time.

KrissyMama88
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 2:02 PM
my kids are like that..we don't leave the house i'm tired of looking like a crazy person
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AbqAnodyne
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 3:28 PM
That's truly how I feel some times! It would be so much easier to just stay home! But I want to give them well rounded enriched childhoods! I'm at a loss...

Quoting KrissyMama88:

my kids are like that..we don't leave the house i'm tired of looking like a crazy person

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AbqAnodyne
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 3:30 PM
We do that and it does help. Elevator buttons are pretty worked out. What is the main issue is getting in the car. No matter what I say or do it is a competition who is in first and someone always cries. It's infuriating that every car ride begins with an argument and crying. I cant even describe how frustrated I am by this...

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

I'm not sure but my sister and I were like this until high school.  We were just shy of 2 years apart.  We are best friends now :)  I think maybe if you anticipate what is going to cause the issue in a particular situation you can manage it ahead of time.  For example if you are going somewhere with an elevator, in the car say something like "okay guys, when we get to the elevator _____ gets to push the "up" button and then _______ can push the number button"  when we leave, the opposite, or something like that.  My son does really well when I lay out the expectations ahead of time.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elayna90
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 5:49 PM
I have 4&5 year olds. They do the exact same thing. Even a short car ride is exhausting. As soon as I figure out how to avoid one fight they are fighting about something new.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AbqAnodyne
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Well, it helps to hear Im not alone.  It seems that kids so close in age are tough.  Neither one is more rational than the other!

Quoting Elayna90:

I have 4&5 year olds. They do the exact same thing. Even a short car ride is exhausting. As soon as I figure out how to avoid one fight they are fighting about something new.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)