Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are all toddler boys this destructive, or is it just mine?!

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:02 AM
  • 25 Replies

My twins are good boys...I promise!  :)  They're 3 1/2 and they play fairly well with each other...sure, they fight over toys (even identical toys) and pick on each other.  They do the typical boy rough-housing, like jumping off the bed, wanting to "sword fight" with their plastic train track pieces, and the younger twin (Christian) is even starting to do this "punching" thing he learned from watching Real Steel with his grandpa... -_-

ANYWAYS!  I put a wooden toy box in their room that I used when I was a little girl...it had a lid with a hinge and it was made fairly sturdy for being about 20 years old.  It's been in there since Christmas, and around January, they somehow broke the back of it so that the lid (and it's metal hinges) got ripped off.  I pushed it up against the wall, removed any splintering wood, and removed the lid and hinges the rest of the way so they wouldn't get hurt.  It's too heavy to move with all of their toys, and they've done so good with it so far.  That is until today...

Christian brings me about a 16-18 inch shard of wood, with a sharp tip (it looked more like a shank than anthing) and said it broke off of his toy box.  Somehow, they had broken this giant piece of wood off of this box and Christian thought it was fun to play with it.  Thank GOD my boys hadn't stabbed each other with it.  Granted, I had been in their room about 15-20 minutes before he brought me this piece, so I know he wasn't stashing it from before (we do a thorough cleaning of their room every night in case they took food or something of mine in there).  The toy box isn't the first thing broken...I mean my kids are bringing me toys or I'm finding something new everyday that's been snapped in half, something's been broken off of it, or they're wanting me to glue something back together.  I mean, is this destructiveness just my boys, or is it normal?!  

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Apr1l
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:27 AM
Normal. My 3 year old is destructive too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
my2sweetjoys
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:29 AM

I have to say they dont make toys like they use to.My motto is, if it survives through Nathan then they made it pretty darn good! I have to say, play time for boys are a little more louder and rougher-I do believe there are too many things on tv(even cartoons has gotten pretty bad) that boys mimic in playing.I only know twins experience through my great nephews and they too, like your twins, fuss about every toy.I say it is kind of normal but remind them of rules-like not breaking toys or trying to use them for other things.I know with my son, he will try to do the same with swords that even if he has two of them, he will use broken toys instead-I think it is thier imagination.

I hope things calm  down just a bit for you and have to say, awesome job on raising twins, it is double what I go through each day but at least they have each other.My friend has a box she puts in her kitchen for broken pieces.She will try to fix something and if it cant be fixed then it is thrown away.Her kids bring and put those toys in that box so it is not laying around to be used as jabbers-Lol.Sending you hugs- 

anon1986East
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:51 AM

I think it's normal. I have 4 year old twin boys and they bring me broken stuff all the time, as does their 6 year old sister because of course she is the ring leader.

Ashiopeia
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:55 AM
Normal, if not tame. My sister has 4 boys and her house is insane. They had her 4 year old bash their 42" flat screen tv to smithereens with a hammer, half their DVD collection is destroyed, a BUILDING in their backyard was dismantled and destroyed, permanent markers taken to every hickory cabinet in their kitchen, not to mention the damage they have done to each other. Within 5 minutes of playing outside at my place her youngest convinced my youngest to scale the fence to jump on the pool cover like a trampoline.

Boys are insane. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Thankfully my son isn't destructive (he's 5 1/2) but I can only imagine what he would be like if he had a twin brother so I would say they are perfectly normal!

Elayna90
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:19 AM
It is normal. I always say I need better than childproof. I need Alex and David proof.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyJDTJ
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:51 AM

I wouldn't worry until you are actually seeing or hearing them TRYING to break and destroy things. Boys don't always know their own strenth, but even at young ages can be really strong. My now 4 year old used to move 2x4 6 foot long peices of wood for DH without help, when he was 2 1/2 or so. 

mommaboudreaux
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Sounds exactly like my 3 1/2 year old lol

calvinsmommy18
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:31 AM

my almost 4 yr old son is really rough on toys too

Bookoholic
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:35 AM

My brothers did that ALL the time, ds realises if he does something the toy isn't ment to do it breaks. Doesn't mean he doesn't break things but he knows once its broken mom tosses it, He tries not to break things now. He's almost 3. But when it comes to wanting to take a toster or microwave apart I've decided that he (i will tell him) can take it apart but after I buy it from good will.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)