Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty Training Tips?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:45 AM
  • 7 Replies

My daughter is 2 and a half and I'm trying so hard to get her potty trained by August so she can go to a little preschool thing they have in town.  She seems to have no interest really unless I let her play with my Kindle Fire while she's on the potty.  It's like she's scared to use the potty.  She will start straining so I say "Do you need to poop?" and she says "Yes." and runs to the bathroom.  I will take off her diaper and she'll sit there but she will not poop.  This will happen a few times before she poops in her diaper.  Once in a while she'll poop in the potty but she will not pee in the potty.  Last week, she got off the potty, came to the living room and peed on the floor then asked for a diaper.  I've tried putting underwear on her, putting underwear on THEN a diaper so we don't have a mess, telling her she'll get a surprise or a brownie if she potties, telling her she has to use the potty before she can go to school (she REALLY wants to go to school), telling her big girls use the potty, letting her see me use the potty.  I don't know what to do anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MSmama_x3
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:50 AM
1 mom liked this
My daughter was the same way. She would pee in her panties and then say she needs to go to the bathroom.
But I kept washing and rewashing wet panties & after about a week, she was using the potty. I refused to put a diaper on her, that only made it worse. I figured if she knee she needed a diaper, she knows how to use the potty.
Instead if buying new diapers when she ran out, I bought a big pack of panties. And all the accidents finally paid off!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:51 AM

I did naked time with my first.  My second has ZERO interest either, so I am going to try to take her every 30 minutes.  What I also do is try and mimic the sensation by putting warm water on her tushy and also putting some pressure on her bladder and telling her pee pee in the potty, poo poo in the potty.  I also cover letters, colors, numbers and read to sort of distract her long enough to go and also go through all of the motions by letting her flush, wash her hands, dry her hands, etc.

Good luck and know that we have all been there and are still right there with ya!

calvinsmommy18
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:39 AM

idk, we tried everything with ds and FINALLY it just pretty much had to be when he was ready to do it, he did. Nothing seemed to work, we set the timer for him to go potty every 1/2 hr, he would go pee and then 10 mins later he would poop in his pants. For him it was just like one day all of a sudden he decided he wanted to pee and poop in the potty all the time.

PEEK05
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:23 PM

How long did you do the underwear? My daughter would wet herself for a couple of days in just underwear only and then she got the hang of it and that was the end of that.

SDarvasi
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:28 PM

OMG I have no answers! I am dealing with pretty much the same thing. My daughter has peed on the potty twice. But she won't poop on it. And if you ask her if she needs to, she says no. I let her be naked all day at home and encourage her to sit on the potty while watching cartoons, just to get used to the idea of it going IN her potty.....but yet, no avail. SHe's as stubborn as stuborn can be. I've been told NOT to force them..but just encourage them. Let her wear underwear and deal with the mess? She might not like how it feels after a while.

Good luck!

BShip2010
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Thanks ladies!!  We live with my parents right now, but once we move back to our house, I'll do the underwear thing again!  I can't do it here because when she pees through her underwear, my parents get mad.

pookienbobosmom
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 3:14 PM

I admit I turned to bribing with my 2 youngest..and it worked great. My youngest DD will be 3 in July and was almost totally done potty training at 2 and I had to go in the hospital for several weeks and we had to start back at square one. We started out with a portable DVD player set up in front of her which was a pain but it worked. After I got tired of that we grabbed several books and she looks through those..I even move it in front of the tv at times. Since we had to start all over I have started giving her M&M's. She sits on the potty but doesn't go she gets 1, pee-2, poop-4. I can't wait until summer and she can just be 1/2 nekkid at home and we can make it to the potty a lot easier.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)