• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

paying for preschool

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:42 AM
  • 136 Replies
I am seeing tons of posts about preschool and paying for it and how it's not worth the money.

Preschool is free here. Beside private schools obviously. I thought it was like that everywhere. Am I mistaken?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NikkiDoll
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:44 AM
My son goes to a private preschool which we pay for every month. The only preschool that is free is offered through the school district and it's offered by lottery system.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
corrinacs
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Oh, lordy, yes you are mistaken!  I woudl thank your lucky stars that you have that as an option.  In VA, we only have private preschools (there's headstart that's free, but its only for at risk children...most people don't qualify).  You are paying mainly for daycares, and most of them are good about putting in a curriculum that's pretty good.  But you do pay a boatload for it :/

angeleyes16
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:07 AM

I pay 80 a month for two days a week. Plus 65.00 fee for the year.

OP- You look a lot like me and it's freaky! lol

LuvMyBoy08
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:07 AM
I pay 70 a month for two days a week
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ms-superwoman
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:10 AM
There is free preschool here. There are certain age your kids have to be. There is also headstart, which is also free and anyone birth to five can go. Although for the headstart if your child is under two than they have to need it. As in they are not where they are supposed to be developmentally.

Quoting corrinacs:

Oh, lordy, yes you are mistaken!  I woudl thank your lucky stars that you have that as an option.  In VA, we only have private preschools (there's headstart that's free, but its only for at risk children...most people don't qualify).  You are paying mainly for daycares, and most of them are good about putting in a curriculum that's pretty good.  But you do pay a boatload for it :/

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ms-superwoman
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:11 AM
LOL I'm mobile so I can't see your photo.

Quoting angeleyes16:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
laurenb1
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:12 AM
Kindergarten in a public school is free but not preschool. We send DS half day once a week and it's 205 a month. We live just a little south of Boston, ma
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angeleyes16
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:12 AM

I forgot to mention we could get free pre-school if we fall into the income requirements, but that would mean I'd have to send her to the pre-school in this district. I don't want to do that, because the neighborhood is really bad, and schools are shutting down everywhere anyways.

Quoting ms-superwoman:

There is free preschool here. There are certain age your kids have to be. There is also headstart, which is also free and anyone birth to five can go. Although for the headstart if your child is under two than they have to need it. As in they are not where they are supposed to be developmentally.

Quoting corrinacs:

angeleyes16
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:13 AM

My dh was by me and was like, "Is that you?" lol

Quoting ms-superwoman:

LOL I'm mobile so I can't see your photo.

Quoting angeleyes16:

army3mom
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:14 AM
In my town you pay for it. For both of mine it was 190 a month. Then 2 times a month its your snack day
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)