Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are some of your "House Rules"?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:45 PM
  • 20 Replies

So I'm going to go the "Supernanny" route and write down some "House Rules". I believe they said 1 rule for each year old. My oldest is 5, so I'm thinking 5 rules. lol. Top 5, I guess. I want some really good ones, too.

1. "Clean up after yourself". I figure it encompasses a lot- after playing, eating, dressing, baths, etc. Not sure if it's too much for a 5yr old (I also have a 2.5yr old and a newborn).

2. "No Back Talk"......lol, self-explanatory.

And that's pretty much it. lol. My DD (the 5yr old) has started to not listen, and I'm wondering if it's school related (she's in preschool, and it's the end of the year....I don't know if another kid has rubbed off on her or if this is another phase she's going through).

Any ideas? I have to run DH to the airport in a few minutes, so if I don't respond right away, that's why.  :-)

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
YzmaRocks
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:47 PM
1 mom liked this
We only have one rule:

Glorify God in all you do.

Covers everything!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tryshx
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:46 PM

1.  No back talk, no bad attitude

2. No jumping on the furniture.  Beds are for sleeping and couches are for sitting.

3. Listen

ddhb2007
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:56 PM
2 moms liked this
We have 2 rules - listen and cooperate.
elisesmom922
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:19 PM

My middle child is 4, but our rules pretty much cover everyone. 1. Make you bed when you get up. 2. Put away the clean clothes on your bed when I put them there. 3. Wipe, flush, AND wash your hands everytime you potty. 4.You must at least try everything on your plate. these are our main ones.

ShadowWaters
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Our big 4 house rules:

1. No hitting (mine are under 2 so that's an issue but when they are older it'll become no bickering)

2. No back talk

3. Respect everyones stuff

4. Be a helper

MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 2:10 AM

1) No TV while eating

2) you have to say "excuse me from the table" before you just get up and leave

3) clean up after yourself

froggynow3
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 8:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a 9 year old DD, a 5 year old nephew, a 4 year old nephew, a 3 year old DS, and a 19 month old DD. In our houseful,  we have to have rules or this place would be a DISASTER!!

1) always clean up your dishes from the table

2) bedrooms must be clean before you can leave the house or go to bed

3)no lying (big issue with the older 3)

4)no  hitting

5) no jumping on the beds ( 4 year old loves to do this)

6) no running in the house

7) shoes off before you hit the carpet

This is all I can think of right now. I know we have more

itsm3
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 8:15 AM

we have several.  dd is 3.5yo but she's old enough to abide by rules.

1. she must clean up after herself and by clean up, i mean put away her toys.  
  2. everyone is to remain at the table during meals, regardless if you have finsihed eating.  dinner is family time
  3. no horseplay during meal times.  it annoys me to no end when kids get up and run around during meal times and then the parents chase them holding food and shovelling it into their mouths while they're running around.
  4. no back-talk/cheeky-talk/attitude
  5. no hitting/biting/pushing/kicking
  6. no lying
  7. no one is allowed to be mean to anyone.  the other day, my dd picked up something new from preschool:  she called my dh "fat".  he's not fat but she said it because she was angry at something.  my dh had a firm talk with her and she now knows that saying things like that to anyone is unacceptable
  8. no horseplay when it's bedtime.  i'm strict with bedtime rules

that's about it.

i have an awesome giveaway going:  4-pack of George's Cream.  Content closes April 29.  Click here to enter

in an attempt to get rid of new products that i have no use for, i'm hosting a bi-weekly giveaway!  click here to get the first one

visit me at my blog:  vodka and soda | www.lifeinprogress.ca

i'm charting my progress of the 30-day shred  |  journey to a healther me

RobynS
by Robyn on Apr. 26, 2012 at 8:37 AM

This is a big one for us. When I had day care kids, you could tell they did NOT have this rule at home. Drove me crazy!

Quoting Tryshx:

2. No jumping on the furniture.  Beds are for sleeping and couches are for sitting.

3. Listen

gilbertgrl627
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 10:06 AM

That's another one I should add: "Good Listening". I like #2 also. They're not big on jumping on the furniture, but they like to climb on (and over) the back of the couch. Drives me nuts! lol

Quoting Tryshx:

3. Listen

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)