Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Making learning new things fun for my 2 year old

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:15 PM
  • 10 Replies

My daughter is very smart. And i know every mom thinks that about their child. But i am wanting to find ways to introduce things such as colors, numbers, shapes, and the alpahbet. She has a  very short attention span, as most 2 yr olds do, and i just cant think of a way to introduce those things to her.

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
k.stark
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:21 PM

we do those things with out even thinking about it around here... we talk about our pink blue green shoes... when looking at regular everyday things we find shapes in them... square is quite easy.... for abcs we started with our sons name.... also.. from my experience toddlers LOVE Barney... I try to watch tv with my kids when they watch it.... and if they don't get through the whole thing oh well... just turn it off and play something else... Most of this sort of stuff is easy if you just describe things simply to your LO... like look at the red ball that boy is playing with. 

KristinawithaK
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:26 PM

songs.

books.  visit your library (also a good thing to get her started on early) or you can see what your secondhand store has to offer.  if you're patient you can try ebay or amazon.

repeat everything you see.  label the things you see.  give things a name.

my kids LOVED Blue Hat Green Hat.  they thought it was hilarious!  even cuter when my son learned how to read (at 4) and would read it to his 2 yr old sister and he would make her giggle and laugh.

OBImomma
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:30 PM
Point out the colors on her clothes, count anything and everything, shapes are everywhere just start pointing them out.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mbp2160
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Thank you very much! i never thought about doing stuff that way. Its like i take things like the colors and shapes of things, because i know what they are. i will just have to say what i am thinking. !! thank yout very much

othermom
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Count everything, like stairs flowers, ect. Point out the colors of everything. Read books, sing songs, some videos, color together, play doh

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Get the foamy letters for the tub.  Make them stick to the side and say way letter it is and make that letter sound and something like starts with it.  You can do the same with numbers.  But only do ONE or the OTHER not both at the same time.  

Find colors on EVERYTHING!  And just keep saying "That's a purple shirt on the baby" and such.

Also, you can find shapes in all things!  :)  

Have fun and learn all day long..............

peachesforme
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Sing songs. go on youtube and put key words "color song" , "number rock", "abc song". Toddlers love to sing! Let her dance too. Get out board books and read to her.  Get some shapes made from construction paper, and tell her to jump on the circle, square, etc.  Have her sort plastic forks from spoons and count them together when she's done, figure out which was more.  Let her paint on big paper, and as she paints say "this is red!" and any other color. If she doesn't want to do something, DON'T force her, you will just turn her off to learning.  Take her lead.  I homeschooled my girl and now she's gifted, scoring 99th percentile on her iowa tests, and was writing paragraphs in Prek which blew away her teachers, most other kids her age barely could scribble their names so take it from me!

squeekers
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Dr Suess is a wonderful teacher:

red one fish two fish red fish blue fish and turn the book into a game lesson.

what is red? have her point to a red toy.

how many is two?  have her show two somethings.

MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:59 AM

I got those foam letters and numbers, use songs, flash cards, early learning DVDs, paint, balls, etc.

huskermom98
by Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Just talk.  Emphasize the color or letters or whatever you are talking about.  For counting I always liked to have my boys count the eggs in the carton as I checked them for cracks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)