Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

She just had.... :(

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:59 PM
  • 29 Replies
1 mom liked this

I think my 3 year old just had a nightmare. Not really sure what it was. She woke up screaming and shaking. She doesn't talk very well so the only thing i could make out was "she wanted mommy. " Well I was right there with her trying to get her to calm down and it was like i wasn't there at first. She just kept yelling i want mommy and she would even turn away from me and cry more and kick her legs. She has done this one other time a few months ago. This is NOT a regular thing. I thought maybe it was b/c she just started school but she wasn't in school a few months ago. Has anyone ever had this experience with their child? None of my kids have ever just woken up like this before.

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bebe_ju-rah
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes. My dd did that almost nightly for a year. She was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea and night terrors. It was the worst year of our lives! She stopped about 6 months before her 5th b-day and hasn't done it since. It used to freak me out, she would have her eyes open and look right through me. =/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RobynS
by Robyn on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Could it be night terrors? Night terrors are different from nightmares. They are disoriented and almost seem to not actually wake up, but scream in their sleep. (someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that is my understanding).

I don't have personal experience with it, so if that's what it is, maybe someone else here can give you advice. Good luck!

RnNHamilton
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:07 PM

It was kind of like that. She looked past me at one point like there was something there and then she freaked out again and started crying harder.

Quoting bebe_ju-rah:

Yes. My dd did that almost nightly for a year. She was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea and night terrors. It was the worst year of our lives! She stopped about 6 months before her 5th b-day and hasn't done it since. It used to freak me out, she would have her eyes open and look right through me. =/

Garnet_Iris11
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:09 PM
Oh poor sweetie!!! My youngest nephew had night terrors .. my sweet brother forgot to mention that when he and his older brothers stayed the night. Thankfully my other nephews helped me with him. I was well beyond freaked!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RnNHamilton
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:10 PM

She has been sick too so she is on a lot of meds. Last year we were going to get her adenoids taken out b/c she always breathes through her mouth and she was going to get the tubes put in her ears too. Maybe its all connected?

Quoting bebe_ju-rah:

haleykj
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:11 PM
No one throw tomatoes at me but if it is night terrors, many environmental factors (most commonly diet) had been linked with night terrors. Diet changes helped my cousin tremendously. Then later he went to another household and they didn't believe the diet thing so gave him whatever they wanted...guess what the terrors started happening again. Some kids are just really sensitive to certain things.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bebe_ju-rah
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:11 PM
Pretty much. My dd had night terrors. She would look awake, get up, try to climb on things, run out of the room, etc all while screaming, crying, shaking and dripping sweat. It took A LOT to wake her up from it and then she was really freaked out because she didn't know why she was in another room, soaking wet, etc. It was pure torture!

Quoting RobynS:

Could it be night terrors? Night terrors are different from nightmares. They are disoriented and almost seem to not actually wake up, but scream in their sleep. (someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that is my understanding).

I don't have personal experience with it, so if that's what it is, maybe someone else here can give you advice. Good luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bebe_ju-rah
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:14 PM
Lol

I don't think it was the case for my dd (only bc we haven't changed anything and it stopped). I'm convinced that it was linked to her sleep apnea...lowered oxygen levels in the brain, etc

Quoting haleykj:

No one throw tomatoes at me but if it is night terrors, many environmental factors (most commonly diet) had been linked with night terrors. Diet changes helped my cousin tremendously. Then later he went to another household and they didn't believe the diet thing so gave him whatever they wanted...guess what the terrors started happening again. Some kids are just really sensitive to certain things.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aschwarz06
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:15 PM
My son was sick one time, but he had a high fever, and started halucinating. He wouldn't "see" me. He would look right at me and dh and scream and try to get away like we were scary monsters. He wouldn't sleep and if he did he would wake up screaming. He would calm down and not let go of me then start over again. It is very scary to see your baby like that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
haleykj
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:16 PM
Yeah sleep apnea is some scary stuff! It was scary enough with DD and she didn't have that problem.

Quoting bebe_ju-rah:

Lol

I don't think it was the case for my dd (only bc we haven't changed anything and it stopped). I'm convinced that it was linked to her sleep apnea...lowered oxygen levels in the brain, etc

Quoting haleykj:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)