Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to deal with rebellious behavior?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:07 PM
  • 5 Replies

Hello Moms,

I have a Three years and eight months girl who's very rebel, never listen to anything I say, not obedient at all. Am worried about her, especially when it comes to danger am so afraid of outcome! What ever I ask her she does it revers. If I ask her to eat she plays up to somehow refuse eating. She wants to play all the time, from morning since she opens her eyes to night bed time, very energitic and full of excitement. When visitors come around her rebellious behavior gets worse! If I get strict with her, makes the situation even worst! She is so resistant to punshement...I put her on timeout for disiplin but that doesnt work. Am out of options Moms:( Looking SO forward to hearing your answers...

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:39 PM
1 mom liked this

No child is resistent to discipline they just learn to play parents who don't lay down the law every single time.  You need to remain consistent and show her whose boss.  You may need to strip her of every toy, tv priviledges, etc. and make her earn them back.  You can also try reverse psychology on her.  If you want her to do something, ask her to do the opposite... 

Ilovebnamommy08
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:43 AM

BUMP!

Maevelyn
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:55 PM

I would make her earn things she likes. If she can't handle being taken out then she wouldn't go. If we're going out to dinner she has to stay with some one and it's a punishment so no getting dinner to go from the restaurant, no videos or tv, grounded for being unable to behave in public and no changing that until she can accept her punishment w/o complaint or defiance. Same thing w/ the grocery store ect. If you do take her somewhere and she acts out then go right home and no tv, toys ect for the rest of the day (I don't care if it's 7am) you may have to take all her toys and stuff away and dole them out for good behaviour. If she can't eat with us she can sit at the table by herself till she eats. In general I'm not a fan of making kids eat but having the same meal show up at serveral meals until a normal amount is eaten will probably change her outlook. Explaine that you want to take her places, giver her things, eat with her ect but until she can behave you'll both have to be punished. 

LML1
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 3:00 PM

I stick with a routine and I just started a behavior chart. My dd is 2.5 yrs old. She loves to go out and about. If she doesn't listen then she doesn't get to go out with mommy. I just wait for my husband to get home to do errands. Our pediatrician gave us really good advice on time outs. When a kiddos in time out they aren't suppose to see you. Ask them to leave the room until they have a happy heart. It's worked wonders for us.

rodesea
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Sounds like my 3yo DS. And advices like: "show him who's the boss" and "he's playing you" makes me feel like i'm the weakest parent ever, like i'm that stupid and don't know that already (that i have to make him to listen)  . And is no help at all, we already know that we need to make the kid to listen to us, that we are the boss, the question is how do you do that?!

My DS has the strogest personality ever, time outs never work, even tho we still use it, hope that it would get to him someday that for every action there's a reaction. He never stay in time outs, i have to stay in front of him, the second i move he is following me screaming and crying, like he is trying to change my mind about the sittuation. And having another baby makes punishments more inconvenient, like everytime I'm trying to make my DS stay in time out the baby would come and see what's all the screaming about and gets upset, or even scared then i have to take her to another room, and DS follows us, and start all over again.

He got better tho, the only thing that gets him in trouble is how he treats his 10m old sister, never let her play with a toy, he is really rough with her.

Hope this will make you feel that you're not alone, and that our kids will grow out of it, but in the meanwhile we have to still show that their actions don't go annoticed.

Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)