Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advise Please!

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:49 PM
  • 16 Replies

My two year old has recently developed a potty mouth. I tried to not make a big deal about it since she doesn't really know what she is saying yet. I tried to calmly explain to her that her dad and I don't like the words but it hasn't helped.  I hate to be mean about it since she must have learned it from us at some point.

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
babowes
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:03 PM
Soap......mine is 5 and I may start using it!!!! Yikes!!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommie_to_be08
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:05 PM
Ew.. Idk my oldest is three, here n there n says one if he heres it but we tell him its wrong n he stops so idk sry
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyJDTJ
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:17 PM

we did time outs at that age for it, seemed to work for the most part. Every so often we have to do it now that ds is 4.

calvinsmommy18
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:32 PM
Idk ds really only says bad words when he's repeating them after someone else says them. He doesn't usually use them on his own.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomOfOneCoolKid
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Just ignore it. Talk about something else. Pretend you don't hear it. In fact, don't even flinch. Don't look at her. (I would do time outs only if it came with aggression. If she was yelling it for example.)

doulala
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:00 AM

In what way?

It's common for kids to be silly about using some words and the more rise they detect from adults the more they wat to do it.     The example we set is hugely relevant, so be sure not to do it yourself too.

MommaGreenhalge
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:29 AM
At that age, ignore it and watch your mouth. If it continues, say,"That's not a nice word. Let's use a different word." If it's still a problem in a year, start disciplining for it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 8:18 AM
This is good advice. Most likely they start saying those words (cause
They heard it from you) and then get a great reaction from you about it. It's a fun word to say cause look at how it makes mom act!
So quit reacting and preten you can't hear it. Then stop saying it yourself. ;)

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

Just ignore it. Talk about something else. Pretend you don't hear it. In fact, don't even flinch. Don't look at her. (I would do time outs only if it came with aggression. If she was yelling it for example.)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
calusari
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 9:50 AM

I've always tried very hard not to use any curse words...when my daughters were younger I did very well. They hadn't heard any bad words until they started school and heard them from other children...however, once my sons got to be about 3 and up, I noticed that I was having more difficulty refraining from cursing! I'm trying really hard...and find myself muttering them at times, but it's a constant struggle!

RobynS
by Robyn on Apr. 26, 2012 at 3:51 PM
1 mom liked this

You're right not to make too big a deal of it. But don't laugh at it, either. Stay calm, but explain what the consequence will be the next time and then stick with it!! Good luck. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)