Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Tiny Toddler Won't Eat/Gain Weight!

Posted by   + Show Post

My baby is 14 months.  She weighs 15 lbs 10 ounces... very very small!  She is growing length wise but has put on little/no weight in the passed 6 monthes.  We have done blood work, I have even taken her to a feeding team at a children's hospital.... all of which came up with nothing being biologically wrong with her.  The feeding team gave me advise like putting ketchup and maple syrup on everything, which worked for like 3 days untill the novelty wore off, and now I am back to square one.  She is meeting all of her mile stones, and exceeding them in many areas!  She is just tiny, and doesn't want to eat consistantly.  I am trying to make all her food very rich (using oil, heavy cream, butter etc).... but it just feels like something is just not right.  I am still nurising, which the dr. told me to start weaning her, but the nutricionist told me not to.  I'm scared to stop because this is a major part of her caloric intake.  I have tried pediasure... she just won't eat/drink anything in large quantities.  She is energetic though... not lethargic at all!  The other issue is her blood iron is low (10.4 when it should be a min. of 11) despite the fact that I give her a supplement with iron it.  On top of it, the iron is staining her teeth!  HELP!  She is pretty much labled failure to thrive, but only in the sense of her weight, NOT her mental development.  Any feedback is highly appreciated!

by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 5:02 PM
Replies (11-20):
robbinsroost
by Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this

You sould post in the breastfeeding group. They are really great at giving help for feeding issues. There are some well educated moms in the group.

bensmom177
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Sorry you are going through such a stressful time.  I just wanted to mention that my sister's daughter at around 18 months had iron deficiency anemia.  She also is very petite and eats very little.  She wasn't drinking formula anymore, but constantly drank milk....all day long.  The doc told my sister that she needs to greatly decrease the milk, which will not only make her more hungry for food during the day, but also help with her iron deficiency.  So maybe if your daughter nursed a bit less, she might be more hungry during the day????  Just a thought.  Good luck to you :)

lruggio
by on May. 2, 2012 at 6:33 AM

where is she on her growth chart for height?  You say she is normal in all other areas but it would be interesting to see what her percentile is for height.  She sounds so much like my son...I could not get food into him...I had to give him formula forever because it had high calories in it and was fortified with iron. Through tests, it was finally found that  My son had a growth hormone disorder and that ultimately was why he was FTT.  I also, had to fortify his foods...pancakes were made with cream instead of milk and I always threw in the dry milk into his eggs and anything else I could to up whatever calories he was getting.  he hated meat.  the only meat I could get him to heat were the nasty chicken nuggets. ( and then, maybe one or two) Basically, there was nothing off limits for him to have because all I wanted for him to do was get on the growth chart!   He was well below the weight and height curves and  the food issues were always a nightmare.

If you do not know where he is on the growth chart for height, that may be something to look at...your child just sounds so much like mine

tinerdancer1988
by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:24 AM
My dd is almost 4 and weighs 26lbs. She is tiny, but she is just as active as any other kid her age. Im not worried right now, but if by 5 she is still like this I'm gonna get her tested. I agree with other moms if you think.she is fine leave her be. Her body will grow when its ready.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CSMommy2012
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:44 AM

My son is like this as well. He was born 3 weeks early, only weighing 4lbs. He was in the hospital for almost three weeks because he wouldn't eat well enough. He is 3 now and this is still a problem we face every day. He has been on Pediasure since he stopped taking his formula, and I am so thankful that he took to the Pediasure with no trouble. Now I am struggling with him wanting his Pediasure over food. He eats well at school but its touch and go at home. I have been thinking about taking the Pediasure away to see if he will start eating more, but I am not willing to give up the calories from the Pediasure. My son has always loved yogurt as well, and to this day, I know that he will eat a big bowl of yogurt, if nothing else. I started to buy the Yoplait Creamy Style yogurt in the large containers. It has a lot of calories and my son loves it. I will be speaking with his pediatrician about this again soon, but I truly feel like this is just his normal. So many kids are overweight these days, that I feel like that has become the norm. My child is 3 and is about 34in tall and weighs 26lbs. He is healthy and active, so I choose not to get frustrated with him anymore. You are certainly not alone in your concern though.

miss_AP
by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:37 PM

My girls are both small, my older one they wanted us to do a bunch of things like they have you doing. She was developing fine, ahead of the curve actually, and so decided to just wait it out. She never ate much, so never really gained weight. She's sort of upped her intake over the past 2 years but is still only 38 lbs at almost 6. However, she didn't have the iron issue....I'm not sure if that is super important or just something to watch?

We just let her be and let her eat whenever she wanted. That actually helped a ton, because she would rather eat small amounts frequently than meals. She never would eat more in one sitting, but would eat the same amount in between meals if that makes sense. I didn't add a bunch of fat and calories and butter and stuff, though I did keep her on whole milk until she was 3. They did want us to see a pediatric gastroenterologist to make sure there werent any absorbtion issues with her digestive track. That may be something you want to look into.

Just a thought about the nursing, too. I am a super big proponent of nursing. That being said, i have seen several kids I know have trouble switching to a solid and "grown up" diet when breast milk is still available. Because they prefer to nurse, they refuse milk, juice, applesauce, most anything because they knowthey can nurse. I don't know enough about it to know if that is an issue, but it could be contributing to her not wanting to eat. I'm not saying quit nursing....but it might be appropriate to consder putting some limits on her.....only nursing at certain ties, or after she's eaten ___ amount, or tried 3 new things, or something. She's old enough to understand those boundaries. If nothing else is working, it couldn't hurt to try.

echojnicki
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:26 PM

SHe is in the third percetile for height, and off the charts for weight.  

Quoting lruggio:

where is she on her growth chart for height?  You say she is normal in all other areas but it would be interesting to see what her percentile is for height.  She sounds so much like my son...I could not get food into him...I had to give him formula forever because it had high calories in it and was fortified with iron. Through tests, it was finally found that  My son had a growth hormone disorder and that ultimately was why he was FTT.  I also, had to fortify his foods...pancakes were made with cream instead of milk and I always threw in the dry milk into his eggs and anything else I could to up whatever calories he was getting.  he hated meat.  the only meat I could get him to heat were the nasty chicken nuggets. ( and then, maybe one or two) Basically, there was nothing off limits for him to have because all I wanted for him to do was get on the growth chart!   He was well below the weight and height curves and  the food issues were always a nightmare.

If you do not know where he is on the growth chart for height, that may be something to look at...your child just sounds so much like mine

echojnicki
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I am releived that I have an appointment with a GI dr. tomorrow.  They got me in very quickly.  She goes through phases where she eats better, and worse (reletively speaking...).  We're on a streak where she wants nothing to do with solid foods.  She's lost 2 ounces in the past two weeks.  Thank you all for your feedback, I have read all your comments and it' gives me so much to think about and concider.  This has been incredibly helpful.  

lruggio
by on May. 3, 2012 at 7:00 AM

I suspected she was small stature.  My son was tested for celiac among other things (he was negative for that)  but even if your child stays on the growth chart and hovers around the 3rd percentile, you may want to bring up growth hormone deficiency to your pediatrician, if it has not been talked about already.  What you say about your daughter is bringing it all back to me, she sounds a lot like my son.  Does she take long naps?  does she sleep for a long time when you put her down at night?  these are things my son did as well

lruggio
by on May. 3, 2012 at 7:10 AM

I too, walked that pediasure/formula line as well.  I found that pediasure made my son constipated and that was another issue.   I found that my son would replace the pediasure for food.  It felt like no matter how I tried to boost his calories, he adjusted, lol.  When he got more pediasure he was not hungry for food...when I backed off of the pediasure, he really did not look for the food...just more to drink, lol..uggh!  For my son, things seemed to start picking up when we finally got the answer to why he was the way he was and when he went on his medication, he took off growing and his appetite picked right up...but whatever he ate, I needed to fortify it to boost his calories.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)