Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Tiny Toddler Won't Eat/Gain Weight!

Posted by   + Show Post

My baby is 14 months.  She weighs 15 lbs 10 ounces... very very small!  She is growing length wise but has put on little/no weight in the passed 6 monthes.  We have done blood work, I have even taken her to a feeding team at a children's hospital.... all of which came up with nothing being biologically wrong with her.  The feeding team gave me advise like putting ketchup and maple syrup on everything, which worked for like 3 days untill the novelty wore off, and now I am back to square one.  She is meeting all of her mile stones, and exceeding them in many areas!  She is just tiny, and doesn't want to eat consistantly.  I am trying to make all her food very rich (using oil, heavy cream, butter etc).... but it just feels like something is just not right.  I am still nurising, which the dr. told me to start weaning her, but the nutricionist told me not to.  I'm scared to stop because this is a major part of her caloric intake.  I have tried pediasure... she just won't eat/drink anything in large quantities.  She is energetic though... not lethargic at all!  The other issue is her blood iron is low (10.4 when it should be a min. of 11) despite the fact that I give her a supplement with iron it.  On top of it, the iron is staining her teeth!  HELP!  She is pretty much labled failure to thrive, but only in the sense of her weight, NOT her mental development.  Any feedback is highly appreciated!

by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 5:02 PM
Replies (21-30):
echojnicki
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:37 PM

She's now on a one nap schedule, and she'll nap for about 2 and a half hours.  At night, she sleeps about 12-13 hours.  We did blood work, I'm wondering if the hormone deficiency would turn up in that... I'll have to mention it at the next appointment.   

Quoting lruggio:

I suspected she was small stature.  My son was tested for celiac among other things (he was negative for that)  but even if your child stays on the growth chart and hovers around the 3rd percentile, you may want to bring up growth hormone deficiency to your pediatrician, if it has not been talked about already.  What you say about your daughter is bringing it all back to me, she sounds a lot like my son.  Does she take long naps?  does she sleep for a long time when you put her down at night?  these are things my son did as well

echojnicki
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:39 PM

I had a visit at the gi today, and they are going to schedule a endoscopy to see what's going on inside her.  The dr. did mention that in most cases, these things turn out to be "behavioral" (no medical reason).  I am very nervous about the anesthesia.  

lruggio
by on May. 4, 2012 at 7:17 AM

hormone deficiency will not turn up in the blood work that she got...its a bit more specific. to check for growth hormone problems,  your doc may start with an xray of her hand to see what her bone age looks like.  If it is behind (my son was 3 yrs behind his age) then it could point to growth hormone, (but not always, lol loveley right?)  Ask to be referred to an endocrinologist,  if they don't find answers with the celiac test they are doing right now...( I suspect its celiac testing they are doing, )  Don't worry about the anesthesia, it may be unsettling to see her sleep this way, but kids do alright with it. we went through that too...and by the way...her sleeping sounds like my son too, checking for growth disorders is a process, because they will monitor her growing over a period of months...will do different tests to rule out the reasons for the delay in growth and once they have all the information (it takes a good 6 months or more) then they can decide what the course of actionto take .  If she IS growth hormone deficient, they can get her on hormones and she will take off, its amazing.  my son was unique because his level was REALLY low.  when he was 2 his height was that of a 10 month old.  when he was 5, he was the average size of a 3 yr old...when he was 10, he only weighed 42 lbs and was 42 inches...but now that we have a great endocrinologist who treats him aggressively, he has grown to 5'3" and is now 118 lbs, never did I think I would have seen that! good luck with her testing, 

lruggio
by on May. 4, 2012 at 7:19 AM

behavior to the point that she is not growing?  come one now...I hate it when docs dismiss things like this

Quoting echojnicki:

I had a visit at the gi today, and they are going to schedule a endoscopy to see what's going on inside her.  The dr. did mention that in most cases, these things turn out to be "behavioral" (no medical reason).  I am very nervous about the anesthesia.  

LadyStork
by on May. 4, 2012 at 7:19 AM
Maybe she just has a slower metabolism? I'm only hungry myself about once.a.day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LadyStork
by on May. 4, 2012 at 7:24 AM
Don't worry about anesthesia. Dd has been through it many times and she's almost 4. She'll go right to sleep and not even know what hit her. And she'll wake up fine :)

Quoting echojnicki:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dueweke_j
by New Member on May. 4, 2012 at 8:24 AM
My dd is 13.5 months, and as of Monday, was 16lbs 11.5oz. We have to get her weight checked every 2 weeks, we are getting an echocardiogram done in 2 weeks, we had blood work drawn (blood work came back normal). And yes, she was a preemie. 35 weeks 4lbs 9oz 17in. I say, my kid is fine. She's small, so what? She's on pediasure, and I monitor her food, she always gets between 800 & 1100 calories. You dd is fine. Keep up the good work mama
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
echojnicki
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Thanks for the encouraging words :-)  She tried Pediasure, but she doesn't really seem to like it.  

Quoting dueweke_j:

My dd is 13.5 months, and as of Monday, was 16lbs 11.5oz. We have to get her weight checked every 2 weeks, we are getting an echocardiogram done in 2 weeks, we had blood work drawn (blood work came back normal). And yes, she was a preemie. 35 weeks 4lbs 9oz 17in. I say, my kid is fine. She's small, so what? She's on pediasure, and I monitor her food, she always gets between 800 & 1100 calories. You dd is fine. Keep up the good work mama

echojnicki
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:56 AM

I know... right?!?!  Sometimes is seems like they just use the easiest answer to the problem, and they dismiss it.  I've heard "You and dad aren't tall either."  Yeah.... so my kid doesn't eat because me and dad are average size and not extremely tall!  Makes no sense.  The growth hormone is really interesting.  I will definately bring this up to the dr. at the next visit.  Thanks for the insight!

Quoting lruggio:

behavior to the point that she is not growing?  come one now...I hate it when docs dismiss things like this

Quoting echojnicki:

echojnicki
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:58 AM

But her length is short as well.  There seems to be something else going on.  Also, she is currently at a stand still and NOT growing at all... not gained weight in several months.  This worries me...   

Quoting LadyStork:

Maybe she just has a slower metabolism? I'm only hungry myself about once.a.day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN