Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Tiny Toddler Won't Eat/Gain Weight!

Posted by   + Show Post

My baby is 14 months.  She weighs 15 lbs 10 ounces... very very small!  She is growing length wise but has put on little/no weight in the passed 6 monthes.  We have done blood work, I have even taken her to a feeding team at a children's hospital.... all of which came up with nothing being biologically wrong with her.  The feeding team gave me advise like putting ketchup and maple syrup on everything, which worked for like 3 days untill the novelty wore off, and now I am back to square one.  She is meeting all of her mile stones, and exceeding them in many areas!  She is just tiny, and doesn't want to eat consistantly.  I am trying to make all her food very rich (using oil, heavy cream, butter etc).... but it just feels like something is just not right.  I am still nurising, which the dr. told me to start weaning her, but the nutricionist told me not to.  I'm scared to stop because this is a major part of her caloric intake.  I have tried pediasure... she just won't eat/drink anything in large quantities.  She is energetic though... not lethargic at all!  The other issue is her blood iron is low (10.4 when it should be a min. of 11) despite the fact that I give her a supplement with iron it.  On top of it, the iron is staining her teeth!  HELP!  She is pretty much labled failure to thrive, but only in the sense of her weight, NOT her mental development.  Any feedback is highly appreciated!

by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 5:02 PM
Replies (31-40):
blmom2
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:50 AM

I have had a constant fight with my dd4 since she was an infant to get her to eat!  She will be 5 in August and just hit 30lbs on Wednesday!  She is i believe 38 inches tall.  She finally did get back on the growth chart for height and weight.  When I look at the other grandkids, it seems that all of the first grandkids born have been small and tall!  So while I still stress over getting her to eat, I dont stress myself into thinking she is sick.  We did blood work when she was an infant and everything came back fine.  One thing with her that I realized is that I have to make sure not  to put too much on her plate at once or she feels overwhelmed.  She does better if I give her just a little bit and then let her get seconds if she wants.  I also have to watch letting her graze eat.  i know that kids are going to want to eat, but constant grazing is also bad because then they dont realize that you have to eat meals.  So I have began copying the eating schedule that they do at her daycare....breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, and then 1 snack before bed.  This has seemed to beging working with her.  She has gained a couple pounds since her birthday!! She did grow like 4 inches within a year!!

lruggio
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:25 PM

she is at a stand still with her length?  That sounds like she has fallen off from a previous percentile on her growth chart...do you know if she was ever higher on the growth chart than just 3%?  babies do bounce around a bit on the height chart, but if she clearly trended higher on her chart and started to consistantly fall, then that is even more suspicious to me, .  does she have teeth and if so, which ones does she have?  It would be interesting to see if her teeth are delayed...another possible indication.  my son had problems with fine motor coordination and did not have the muscle strength most kids had at the same age.  he walked at 14 months.  I remember when he was two, he tried so hard to tell me what was on his mind, lol...and I had no idea what he was saying.  He was trying to get his thoughts out of his mouth that was the same size mouth of a 10 month old baby's mouth, lol.  When he was 2, most 1 year old babies were taller and heavier than him.  He would run circles around them, as the took their wobbly first step or two...the mothers looked at me in amazement thinking my son was the same age as their kids...and then their look of amazement turned to horroor, LOL when they found out he was a YEAR older..it was a strange timefor sure. He started a new school in the 4th grade because we moved...and I remember the first week, he would come home just mad, lol...the teachers kept scolding him for being in the 4th grade hall,  as they continually brought him to the KINDRGARTEN hall because he was OBVIOUSLY lost! lol...I had to keep reminding people to stop carriying my 8 yr old son all over the place because he  is um...8!! lol  

Quoting echojnicki:

But her length is short as well.  There seems to be something else going on.  Also, she is currently at a stand still and NOT growing at all... not gained weight in several months.  This worries me...   

Quoting LadyStork:

Maybe she just has a slower metabolism? I'm only hungry myself about once.a.day.

echojnicki
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:20 PM

She is at a stand sill with the height.  I have to look at the chart more closely to get a better idea of the trend of her height.  I have been so concerned over her weight, I have not been keep as close an eye on the height.  She does have like all her teeth (her incisors are almost all in now) and she got them really early.   She does not have any problems with coordination or strength.. she is a strong little thing.

Quoting lruggio:

she is at a stand still with her length?  That sounds like she has fallen off from a previous percentile on her growth chart...do you know if she was ever higher on the growth chart than just 3%?  babies do bounce around a bit on the height chart, but if she clearly trended higher on her chart and started to consistantly fall, then that is even more suspicious to me, .  does she have teeth and if so, which ones does she have?  It would be interesting to see if her teeth are delayed...another possible indication.  my son had problems with fine motor coordination and did not have the muscle strength most kids had at the same age.  he walked at 14 months.  I remember when he was two, he tried so hard to tell me what was on his mind, lol...and I had no idea what he was saying.  He was trying to get his thoughts out of his mouth that was the same size mouth of a 10 month old baby's mouth, lol.  When he was 2, most 1 year old babies were taller and heavier than him.  He would run circles around them, as the took their wobbly first step or two...the mothers looked at me in amazement thinking my son was the same age as their kids...and then their look of amazement turned to horroor, LOL when they found out he was a YEAR older..it was a strange timefor sure. He started a new school in the 4th grade because we moved...and I remember the first week, he would come home just mad, lol...the teachers kept scolding him for being in the 4th grade hall,  as they continually brought him to the KINDRGARTEN hall because he was OBVIOUSLY lost! lol...I had to keep reminding people to stop carriying my 8 yr old son all over the place because he  is um...8!! lol  

Quoting echojnicki:

But her length is short as well.  There seems to be something else going on.  Also, she is currently at a stand still and NOT growing at all... not gained weight in several months.  This worries me...   

Quoting LadyStork:

Maybe she just has a slower metabolism? I'm only hungry myself about once.a.day.

lruggio
by on May. 5, 2012 at 5:27 PM

she has all of her teeth and they came in at the right time...that well that is good to hear. If they were delayed, then that woiuld have been the red flag waving, I think, lol.  growth hormone deficiency is not that common but then again, it gets missed BECAUSE its not that common.  Good luck, I would love to hear what the testing reveals...and again, maybe she is just going to follow her own curve and will catch up...

2and2onway
by on May. 5, 2012 at 6:09 PM
1 mom liked this

DO NOT STOP NURSING!!!! Not yelling just making it very clear that nursing her is filling her and providing her with many more nutrients that she will not get if you stop. Is she picky or just not a big eater? Are you offering her small amounts many times through the day? Will she eat on the go, walk with a baggie of food? Is her Dr concerned? Have you tried contacting a food therapist? If she is thriving and advancing I would just keep on doing what you are doing.

Poisongirl98
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2012 at 9:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I would look into getting an evaluation by a speech pathologist and/or occupational therapist who specialize in feeding issues. They can rule out/determine if there's any sensory and/or oral-motor issues that are causing her to not want to eat a lot. You should be able to do that through yourstate's early intervention program. Did the feeding team want to see you again if she wasn't making progress?

I hate when doctors make the assumption that if they can't find anything medically wrong with a child they assume the issue is "behavioral." Very rarely are a child's feeding issues purely behavioral, there are often underlying issues why they don't eat well. I also don't think her still nursing a lot is the reason she's not eating. I'm sure you've given her plenty of opportunities with solids, she's just not too fond or them for some reason.
MommyRJ
by on May. 5, 2012 at 9:17 PM
Will she try new foods? Try anything new until she eats and offer it often. Also have you tried like smoothies? Or using a juicer?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
corrinacs
by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Hey mama!

Thsi was my Caden to the T when he was that age!  He was always so tiny!  

I am sure they looked, but did they test her for food allergies?  My son had bad excema, got sick a lot and had a host of other problems....poor weight gain was one of them.  LIke your girl, he met his milestons crazy early, and because of that the doctor's didn't want to look nearly as closely as they should have.  Does your DS have excema, seems to be ill (both throwup and colds), bad behavior at times, complaning of tummy hurts?

We switched doctors when Caden was 2 and the doctor suggested testing for food allergies.  He's actually allergic to so many foods, I lose my own head sometimes!  But, once we took away those food allergens from his diet, and supplementing his food with fattier options (oils, etc) he put the weight on in no time!

How big are you?  Were you small as a child?  If not, then I'd have the doctors take more looks!  The failure to absorb iron is pretty telling as well!

corrinacs
by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:07 AM

I agree with this one too!

Quoting Poisongirl98:

I would look into getting an evaluation by a speech pathologist and/or occupational therapist who specialize in feeding issues. They can rule out/determine if there's any sensory and/or oral-motor issues that are causing her to not want to eat a lot. You should be able to do that through yourstate's early intervention program. Did the feeding team want to see you again if she wasn't making progress?

I hate when doctors make the assumption that if they can't find anything medically wrong with a child they assume the issue is "behavioral." Very rarely are a child's feeding issues purely behavioral, there are often underlying issues why they don't eat well. I also don't think her still nursing a lot is the reason she's not eating. I'm sure you've given her plenty of opportunities with solids, she's just not too fond or them for some reason.

So proud of all I have....My big boy Caden and my little Leo.

babies101
by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:53 AM

I would say she is just petite. My daughter is 2 1/2 and only 23 pounds and the drs were all worried something was wrong with her. She is fine and very energetic as well. What bothers me is the drs follow a dumb growth chart and if the kids to stand up to that then something is wrong with them. Kids are individuals and don't follow what is on your chart exactly. As long as she is thriving in other ways I wouldn't worry about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)