Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Tiny Toddler Won't Eat/Gain Weight!

Posted by   + Show Post

My baby is 14 months.  She weighs 15 lbs 10 ounces... very very small!  She is growing length wise but has put on little/no weight in the passed 6 monthes.  We have done blood work, I have even taken her to a feeding team at a children's hospital.... all of which came up with nothing being biologically wrong with her.  The feeding team gave me advise like putting ketchup and maple syrup on everything, which worked for like 3 days untill the novelty wore off, and now I am back to square one.  She is meeting all of her mile stones, and exceeding them in many areas!  She is just tiny, and doesn't want to eat consistantly.  I am trying to make all her food very rich (using oil, heavy cream, butter etc).... but it just feels like something is just not right.  I am still nurising, which the dr. told me to start weaning her, but the nutricionist told me not to.  I'm scared to stop because this is a major part of her caloric intake.  I have tried pediasure... she just won't eat/drink anything in large quantities.  She is energetic though... not lethargic at all!  The other issue is her blood iron is low (10.4 when it should be a min. of 11) despite the fact that I give her a supplement with iron it.  On top of it, the iron is staining her teeth!  HELP!  She is pretty much labled failure to thrive, but only in the sense of her weight, NOT her mental development.  Any feedback is highly appreciated!

by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 5:02 PM
Replies (61-62):
calvinsmommy18
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 12:29 PM

ds isn 4 and hes still a little thing. he goes thru his phases where he eats better and ones where he bearly eats at all. hes 31lbs and 38 inches and he was a small baby at 4lbs 13oz and 18 inches. the drs are not concerned because he has not fallen off his growth line, he just keeps following the 5% line up

jester75
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 4:40 PM
It is reassuring to see others with this problem. I often feel like evryone else has the easiest time getting their Lo' to eat. My son was a preemie, never a big eater and now weighs 21 lbs. @ 21 months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN