Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

For a while I was really strict about 3 meals a day, and two snacks...okay yeah, I"m a little bit of a control freak lol.  Well they would eat almost nothing at a meal, then complain about being hungry an hour later, so I started just giving them small meals/snacks throughout the day.  This was yesterday...does anyone else have a kid that eats like this?  It seems to work for them.  I mean they're both energetic, and healthy.

Breakfast: half an Omelet and a piece of plain toast

...well bread lightly toasted, they don't really like toast lol.  I go by my old nutrionists reccomendation of one carb and one protien for breakfast.

Snack: 1 Banana with peanut butter.

Snack 2: 1 cup cantalope and 1/3 cup of cheezits.  9 am is when they seem to be at their most hungry

Lunch:usually around 11 or 11:30 Cubed and Sauteed chicken (in olive oil), carrots (which they may or may not eat, I still offer them), and hummus (which they dip the carrots in).

Snack: Organic apple and currant sauce

Snack:  three small sticks of celery with tuna salad spead on it (they typically don't eat the celery sticks, but I still try to offer it.  And there is celery in the salad, but don't tell them hehe).

Dinner: homemade sloppy joes. They usually eat half.

Final snack/dessert : grapes for DS, strawberries for DD (they get to pick what fruit they want)

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:12 PM
Replies (41-50):
nicole2884
by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:30 AM

i wouldnt let them graze because thats alot of calories

sophiex
by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:45 AM

My boy, who will be 4 in about 3 months, hardly eats breakfast lately. It's like he's not hungry when he gets up and it takes him quite some time to have the need to eat. The problem is when we need to do things and go out I can't just take him with an empty stomach 'cause he gets really cranky, really quickly! Most of the times though, he does eat in the car when we go for errands in the morning! 

His appetite is really big the rest of the day though. Don't know if there's any way I can motivate him  to eat in the morning. 

jessi2girls
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 7:51 AM

I do the same with my oldest, because she'll hardly eat any of her meals otherwise.. break it down to more HEALTHY (obviously) snacks a day, and smaller meal portions and it works out great.

It's actually better for them anyways really.

jessi2girls
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 7:52 AM

My youngest, loves food too much though, lol.. so for her we do the 2 snacks, 3 meals a day.. otherwise she'd eat ALL day long because she LOVES her food lol. She's 16 months, and even at this age, eats more than her sister! lol.

Mom_to_Lincoln
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Most toddlers do like to graze all day rather then eating big meals. We usually have some kind of small meal or snack every 2-3 hours just depending on the day and everyone's appetite. I think it causes bad eating habits if you force kids to eat when they are not hungry because they are not learning to listen to their own bodies and eat when they are hungry.

Kaya529
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Everyone is different. I eat like that. I call it being a snacker. I usually cannot eat a whole meal. I am the queen of the doggie bag. I eat half at meal time and the rest later when I am hungry again. As long as their healthy and getting enough it shouldn't matter as to what method works for them.

Traci_Momof2
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:41 AM

My younger DS (he's 5 now) would much rather graze throughout the day then have specific meals.  I think it's actually healthier to eat that way as long as all the food being grazed on is healthy food.  Unfortunately, our society just doesn't support eating like that.  I can't expect my daycare provider to completely change up her meal routine just for my kid.  Even if I was home with him at the younger ages, when he starts Kindy this fall the school definitely is not going to let him have a grazing method of eating.  So I just do the best I can to remind him that he needs to eat when the food is given to him so he doesn't get hungry later.  I don't particularly like doing that - I've never liked the idea of forcing food.  However, if he doesn't eat good at his meals, especially lunch, then he gets too hungry later and his tummy starts hurting and he starts feeling nauseous (sp?).  He's gotten a lot better now but it was pretty rough for a while.

heather4511
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:43 AM
Well, I do it so i let my DD as well. I've always been more of a grazer, I dont see much wrong with it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Traci_Momof2
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Quoting nicole2884:

i wouldnt let them graze because thats alot of calories

They're growing kids.  They need calories.  The only time calories are bad for kids is when it's junk food calories.

Based on what OP outlined as their food intake, there is little to no junk food in their diet.  Plus, whether you have all that food spread out over the day, or combined into 3 big meals, it's still the same amount of calories either way.

colins_mom
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 10:31 AM

my ds grazes. i will let him go back to his plate on and off if he is hungry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)