Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Poll-What do you do when your toddler(s) refuse to eat dinner?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: What do you do when your toddler(s) refuse to eat dinner?

Options:

Put them to bed w/o dinner. If they were hungry, they would eat

Find something they will eventually eat, they are too young to go to bed w/o dinner

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 71

View Results

My 2 monsters are 3.5 and 2 yo.  Most nights 1 or both don't want to eat dinner.  (we never have issues with breakfast or lunch).  I make an effort to find something they will eat as I don't feel they are old enough to go to bed w/o SOMETHING in their belly.  And selfishly, I don't want them waking in the middle of the night b/c their hungry.  On the other hand, DH doesn't want to start this "we a resturant" and will give u whatever u want.  While I totally agree with him, again, I just think they are too young.  What happens in your house?

by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:05 PM
Replies (21-30):
momto2boys92106
by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:56 PM
This

Quoting STKsMomma:

I don't put her to bed, but I don't make her anything else. When she asks for something to eat I give her the plate she had at dinner. She can have that first. I don't cater to any of my kids other then on there birthday they get to decide what we are having for dinner!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katiebug840204
by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:59 PM
My almost 4 year old doesn't eat dinner most nights. I don't fix anything special for him. If he doesn't eat what I cook then he doesn't eat at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OBImomma
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 5:02 PM
If my kids don't want to eat (which is very rare) they must sit at the table until dinner is over. They get no dessert. I will give them.a healthy snack before bed
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
storkradio193
by on May. 2, 2012 at 5:26 PM

I just keep the food on a plate and put it in the frig.  If she gets hungry then I offer her the dinner and/or any fruit/veggies.  She would say if she's hungry, so if she doesn't eat much then I assume she isn't hungry.

http://www.cafemom.com/home/storkradio193

MommyJDTJ
by on May. 2, 2012 at 5:33 PM
The 3.5 year old would be put to bed with nothing or given the choice of a peice of frujt or vegetable if they didnt want to eat dinner. I am not sure what I would do with a 2 year old, maybe give them the choice of half a pb&j and vegtables.... Or the same choices as the 3.5 year old and
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CjEmmemommy
by on May. 2, 2012 at 5:34 PM
My kids aren't an issue in this area but they have gone to bed with little or no food. Its not a big deal, they will eat in the morning.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Schleetle
by on May. 2, 2012 at 5:36 PM
Try to get her to share my plate, or give her something else. She eats a good variety of things, but I don't mind if she turns her nose up once in a while. There are certain days I'm not in the mood for things too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mik1of3
by on May. 2, 2012 at 6:30 PM

When she was little, if she didn't eat dinner, she was allowed to leave the table, but her plate was put in the microwave.  If she came in an hour later, hungry, it was warmed up and given to her then.
If she still didn't eat it, she went to bed hungry, and the dog got her food.  The next day she'd start over with a clean slate.

They aren't going to starve themselves to death, and missing one meal isn't going to kill them.  It will teach them to appreciate what they have...esp when it's 3am, they have an empty, growling tummy...and they're thinking, gee, maybe the beans weren't that bad after all!

squeekers
by on May. 2, 2012 at 6:52 PM

we fixed our daughter when she went thru that stage. she didnt want what we ate so we told her 'eat with us or else' the 'or else' is a SINGLE pb&j sandwich only. after she ate nothing but pb&j sandwiches for a week, she figured it was easier to eat with us at the supper table. and now she's almost 16 and if she's hungry, she goes and makes herself a pb&j and I smile.

Osstie
by on May. 2, 2012 at 6:58 PM

I voted put them to bed, but my kids are 4 and 6. Plenty old enough to be able to eat their dinner. I don't force them to sit and eat if they're not hungry, but they're certainly not going to have anything different to eat. I'm not a damn short order cook.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)