Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Ds is almost 5 and won't poop! Help!

Posted by   + Show Post
Ds will be entering kindergarten this fall and he refuses to poop. Literally he will hold it for weeks!!!!!! I give him fiber and then some of it comes out in gas 24/7. This cannot be normal. He's afraid it's going to hurt and doesn't have the patience to sit and try. We've had a few successes but not too many. I'm sick of cleaning poopy undies all day long! How do I get him to go on the potty regularly???
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:05 PM
Replies (21-27):
MommyJDTJ
by on May. 3, 2012 at 2:06 PM
Talk yo his ped, and start having him clean his own poop messes.

I have a cousin whos son did the same thing at 2 he wouldn't go and when he did go on the toilet he would scream oh no its coming out. He was later found to be on the autism spectrum with aspbergers or however you spell it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bunnywzrd
by on May. 3, 2012 at 2:10 PM

My daughter had constipation problems. We would alternate colace and milk of magnesium. It always worked for her. She was not afraid to go it just hurt her really bad. When we do this it doesn't seem to be as painful for her.

hwifeandmom
by on May. 3, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Even though it's supposed to be flavorless, my kids could taste the Miralax, too.  My daughter prefers Metamucil's new "Clear and Natural" in the BLUE bottle.  The active ingredient is Inulin, which comes from chicory root, a natural, plant-based product (Miralax is .  You use a smaller dose (1 tsp), and my daughter can't taste it, even in water.  Her body has also responded better to this product (though my other child did better with Miralax).  If you have a hard time with Miralax, try another stool-softening laxative.  The chewable Fiber Choice tablets are also Inulin-based, if you thought your son would like those.  Benefiber is another stool-softening laxative.

Quoting bmcandmmh:

You are so knowledgeable! Thank you so much!!! I heard something once about the bowel muscles so I have a feeling that's what is going on and it's not his fault really that his muscles can't hold it. He refuses juice and only drinks chocolate milk or water so miralax is hard to slip in but I will try with his milk along with keeping up all the fiber gummies. (literally 4 a day twice the adults dose) to make sure everything is soft that continues to become poop. I'm going to really need to get on the miralax literally daily. We'll have a poop then I would think he didn't need it. So I'll just make sure even when he is regular I'll still do the miralax regardless. wow 3-6 months though holy molly. That's going to be quite the job but I'll get on it now. Thanks so much!

LML1
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 4:24 PM

If you do decided to give him laxatives everyday make sure he's drinking enough. Get him pedialyte or gatorade something that has electrolytes to he doesn't get dehydrated. Good luck.

PEEK05
by on May. 3, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Yikes, I don't know. I imagine the school will send him home if he poops his pants. Hopefully you can figure out how to help him before then. Here is a bump.

zolanmel
by on May. 3, 2012 at 6:17 PM

my dd doesnt poop well either.  you could be giving him to much fiber and not enough water.  

sophiesmom07
by on May. 3, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Quoting bmcandmmh:

The doctor told me to do lots of fiber to where it's soft and easy to come out but he still won't go. In the past we didnt do fiber and his poops were huge and that must've hurt and he said it did so I think he's just scared now. But he can't be going to kindergarten pooping himself!! Ahhhhh! Hopefully he'll mature before school. Otherwise I will talk to kaiser and The doctor will probably instruct strong laxatives that will make his stomach hurt. Maybe he'll learn that way.

Quoting CBMama06:

I'd talk to your childs pediatrician or an occupational therapist... I have a friend of mine who is dealing with the same thing.. But her child won't wear pull ups or undies.. He just wants a diaper and he is 4.. He literally screams when she takes him to the potty.. He doesn't go at school he will hold it for hours at a time.. She said he has went 23 hrs without going..

She is at her finall straw & hiring a behavoral therapist to come to her house to train him..

GL momma!!

Does he drink enough water?  Fiber helps, but if he's not getting enough water, it will actually make things worst. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN