Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What age did your toddlers become potty trained?

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:19 PM
  • 51 Replies

At what age did your toddlers become potty trained?

Did they start by using the grown up toilet or a potty seat?

Are they a girl or boy?

My son is 2 1/2 and I started teaching him at one. I bought him a potty seat and he seemed like he was getting the right idea. He would sit on it, but not really pee. It is the kind that turns into a step stool. Sometimes he will pee in the big toilet. He uses his "step stool" and sits on the toilet backwards and pees. He has done that quite a few times and knows how, but he wont do it anymore. I am just wondering if this is normal. Should I start pushing him more and should I have him stand on the stool and pee like a boy is suppose to?

by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2012 at 12:55 AM

I don't think a child should ever be pushed into something they aren't ready for.  He's easing himself into it and he's still young.  The harder you push, the harder he will probably push back and the longer it will take for everyone.  Make it fun and exciting!  Reward charts,etc.

My son was 3 1/2 and it was a piece of cake.  Always on the regular toilet.  He started sitting and then probably started standing a couple months into it.

My DD will be 3 in July and we are just starting now cuz she has to be trained for school in Sept.  I would rather wait another 6-9 months but I don't have that option so we are getting the ball rolling now.  Nothing has actually made it in the potty yet but I have hope!

Goobieville
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:20 AM

i am a believer in parent lead potty training. DS1 is 26 mo and trained. I have all kids in my care (dayhome) trained buy 2.5- I refuse to change diapers past the age of 3. 

Fields456
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 10:21 AM
Dd was 3 She started at 2 and was doing great until she fell in att he toilet at my friends house. That set us back she wouldn't go near a toilet for 6 months
Gabeybaby0504
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:25 AM
We started potty training a few weeks ago with DS who is just about 3. He seemed like he was starting to get it, but then something irritated his stomach and we had to switch back to diapers while he had the runs. Hoping to try again soon, tho, since I'm due next month and we don't want to have to pay double for diapers
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by Angie on May. 3, 2012 at 10:29 AM

my son was 19 months. we started with a little potty chair.

corrinacs
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2012 at 10:36 AM

3.  Caden didn't care a lick until he was about 3 years old.  We did get him a potty seat for him for his second birthday. He'd sit on it, take it apart, put it together etc.  But, he really didn't use it....he just went straight to the big potty.

We put him in a preschool that was for potty trained kids.  That actualyl really helped (They agreed to work with us the first few weeks).  And his bday is in Sept (so he was in that class for 4 weeks) and we told him he could have a huge birthday bash if he potty trained.  And he did :) 

bekalynne440
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:37 AM
I also believe in parent lead training. My son was potty trained at 2.5, and honestly that was a little late for my tastes (consistantly dry by 3months or so before he turned 3). I don't like to have a 2.5 year old in diapers, and I refuse to have a child of mine in diapers at 3. With my son I just started putting him in underwear and changing it a lot at first until he got the hang of it. (all of that assuming the kid doesn't have special needs). My dd just turned 16 months, and next week we are going to start early potty training.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PixieButtercup
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:41 AM

My oldest son was close to 4 before he was completely potty trained. My youngest is 2.5 and he's basically potty trained. 

I wouldn't push your son into potty training. That just seems to cause more frustration....on his part and yours. Maybe back off a bit and let him go at it when he's more ready. 

bekalynne440
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:41 AM
Oh, and my son uses the regular toilet seat by his own choice because that's what mommy and daddy do. We'll treach dd to use a little potty because she's only 16 months and she's small for her age.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SaimyaAndJoeJr
by Member on May. 3, 2012 at 10:54 AM
My daughter is three we stated with a potty chair at two then switched to a seat. She would not potty train for nothin in the world then finally in april ofthis year she decided no more diapers and was offically potty trained in a week. Since she started potty training she has never had an over night accident. I have never been so excited
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)