Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Allegra.  My son takes Allegra twice a day for seasonal/environmental allergies.  It works extremely well for him, so I don't want to switch.

But good greif, its so expensive!!!!  $15 for a 6 days supply :/.  I have to budget $50/month just for Allegra :/.  Why coudln't they have kept it prescription!!!!

Anyone else have any prescription annoyances?

Any of you have any ideas for saving money on them?

So proud of all I have....My big boy Caden and my little Leo.

by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:28 AM
Replies (11-17):
msjoecool
by Crissy on May. 4, 2012 at 10:22 AM
I had a daily medicine I took to help prevent migraines. Things were much better with it. Then the generic came out. The generic didn't help with my headaches and the side effects were unbearable. My prescription insurance wouldn't pay for name brand even with calls from my doctors. I could still get it if I was willing to pay about $500 a month. I still miss the drug.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

.Angelica.
by Angie on May. 4, 2012 at 11:47 AM

that stinks.

GodsAmiga
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Oh goodness that's a lot! *hugs* I don't even want to think about how much my daughter's inhalers would cost. :-\ Thankfully TriCare covers all medical costs but I know before we had it and before she was diagnosed the hospital bills from when she ended up at Marybridge twice with breathing problems were extremely expensive. :-(

GodsAmiga
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2012 at 11:58 AM

My sister is having this problem with her medicine for her narcolepsy (and I know I totally mispelled that-lol). The name brand helped her so much but now that the generic is out it's all her insurance will pay for and it doesn't help one bit.

Quoting msjoecool:

I had a daily medicine I took to help prevent migraines. Things were much better with it. Then the generic came out. The generic didn't help with my headaches and the side effects were unbearable. My prescription insurance wouldn't pay for name brand even with calls from my doctors. I could still get it if I was willing to pay about $500 a month. I still miss the drug.

corrinacs
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2012 at 1:51 PM

I wish, when Allegra went OTC, my insurance stopped covering it :/

Quoting jmanek:

Idk if this is still true. If you can get his doctor to prescribe it insurance may cover it.

corrinacs
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Do NOT get me started about inhalers! My insurance doesn't cover inhalers all the way :/.  I don't know why, but I end up spending $30 on those.  Luckily, he's not on a full time inhaler any longer...just Singulair and Allegra.

There is a prescription cream we get for Caden that costs $250...luckily, we can make a bottle last a year!

Quoting GodsAmiga:

Oh goodness that's a lot! *hugs* I don't even want to think about how much my daughter's inhalers would cost. :-\ Thankfully TriCare covers all medical costs but I know before we had it and before she was diagnosed the hospital bills from when she ended up at Marybridge twice with breathing problems were extremely expensive. :-(

GodsAmiga
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2012 at 7:41 AM

Wow! That's expensive cream! I'm glad it lasts for a long time!!

Yeah, Rachel is on a  daily inhaler and then she has albuterol for when it's needed. She also has a FloVent for when she takes the inhalers that the doctors told me is top-brand so would have been crazy expensive. I didn't know at the time that TriCare covers all that so I was trying not to think about how much it was going to cost. Our last insurance was really bad. We had a $20 co-pay and then we still had to pay almost everything else too. We got a temporary albuterol inhaler for Rachel before she was diagnosed and it cost over a hundred dollars with that insurance.

Quoting corrinacs:

Do NOT get me started about inhalers! My insurance doesn't cover inhalers all the way :/.  I don't know why, but I end up spending $30 on those.  Luckily, he's not on a full time inhaler any longer...just Singulair and Allegra.

There is a prescription cream we get for Caden that costs $250...luckily, we can make a bottle last a year!

Quoting GodsAmiga:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)