Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers
Jude, 22 months, and I often go on walks in our neighborhood. It's a quiet, nice area with mostly retired, older people or families with kids. Juju is a curious lil guy and wanders up onto front lawns and up driveways and things. I never let him go all the way up, like to the front door, but he's definitely on their private property. I'm very respectful and teach him to be as well: I make a point of not looking into windows, I don't allow Jude to tear leaves or flowers off of plants or even smack them to make them bounce. I only allow him to pick up and play with leaves and flowers that have fallen on the ground. I try to stay at least half the distance to the front of the house. But I still feel kind of weird about it. What do you think? Would you think it's weird or rude if you saw that on your front lawn. Mind you, none of the yards here are fenced. I'd never let him in a fenced yard, even if it wasn't completely closed off. So, should I continue or keep him on the sidewalk? No one has ever said anything but I don't think most people are home midday when we are out walking.

Eta: I'm not talking about cutting through yards. Just Jude wandering up to see some flowers or a fountain or a bug as we meander, with me right by his side making sure he doesn't wreck anything or get too close. I can't usually ask permission since nobody's home or out front with the exception of one retired couple who sit in their garage with the door open everyday with their dog. Juju loves their dog and I have definitely asked permission to come pet him. But that's more of good strange dog etiquette than a front yard issue. They love it. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:52 AM
Replies (31-40):
RobynS
by Robyn on May. 4, 2012 at 8:49 PM

I don't think anyone would mind too much if a toddler was in the yard, but as they get older, it's a bit more of an issue.

MommyRJ
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:56 PM
DH thinks its okay. He wouldn't care. But I don't like it.id never say anything or be rude but I'd be annoyed. And when we take our kids for a walk- they stay on the sidewalk. Or within a foot of the sidewalk at MOST.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wendsdy
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2012 at 9:09 PM

If it were my house, I wouldn't care but some neighbors might. Amazing what kind of people are out there. When I was little I used to walk up and down my street writing down license plate numbers. Why? Who knows. Me and my friends did it. Something to do I guess. I must have been 9.  One neighbor scared the .....out of me asking why I was doing that. He was very mean about it  I was only 9! What was he hiding?  There are some scary people out there who get weird about their property but I wouldn't care if it was my house.  Sounds like you are being very considerate. I would maybe worry about dogs or something though.

LaughterHugs
by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:18 PM

in your neighborhood.....no way would that be a problem. :D

if the yards were more than 30 feet square i might say differently :P

ele2837
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:13 PM
That would bother me because it would set off the dogs and may end up waking up my kid.
mom2MDS
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:36 PM

I do not  allow my children to go onto other peoples property and yes IMO it is very rude.

tennisgal
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Keep him on the sidewalk. I think it's rude to go traipsing through other people's yards. 

babygomez
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2012 at 2:29 AM

In my opinion, yes, it is rude.

army_wifey_06
by on May. 5, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Quoting .Angelica.:

I have never allowed my son to go in people's yards, not even a little.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SatyrsMom
by on May. 5, 2012 at 6:06 AM

it is ok right now. I would look out, smile and way then go on about my business. If you no one has said anything then just keep being respectful and maybe not let him all the way onto the lawn

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)