Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

potty training accidents question

Posted by   + Show Post
My daughter just turned two in March and were going to start full on potty training in a few days. So my question is when she has an accident how do I address the situation? Do I take her directly to the potty and talk to her? And what about accidents in public? Thanks to all who reply!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 4, 2012 at 2:03 PM
Replies (11-19):
ajbria2010
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:14 AM
Mu daughter turned 2 in Feb and I'm doing potty training as well. When she has accidents I grab her hand and we run to the potty where I let her do everything she would if she had made it, wipe, look in the potty for her waste, and flush, then I tell her (not in a negative way like I'm mad at her) that peeing in our panties is gross and for babies and if she wants to be a big girl she has to go to the potty. I've noticed the only time she really even has accidents is when she is deep into playing or watching TV. I also do pullups when we go out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Even though it's not said in a mean way, the message is still sort of shaming her.  I might suggest not calling her a baby for having an accident.  It's just a part of life and we have all had them.  I just think maybe taking a more positive approach like "so close, good trying!  next time we'll run even faster to get those pee pees in the potty!"  or whatever might come across better as she gets older.  Sorry, side bar but just some food for thought...

Quoting ajbria2010:

Mu daughter turned 2 in Feb and I'm doing potty training as well. When she has accidents I grab her hand and we run to the potty where I let her do everything she would if she had made it, wipe, look in the potty for her waste, and flush, then I tell her (not in a negative way like I'm mad at her) that peeing in our panties is gross and for babies and if she wants to be a big girl she has to go to the potty. I've noticed the only time she really even has accidents is when she is deep into playing or watching TV. I also do pullups when we go out.

Beth (32) DH (37) Tyler (5) Bayley (2 1/2)

itsm3
by on May. 5, 2012 at 10:54 AM

just clean her up, don't make a big deal about it and then remind her that if she needs to go to the potty, to tell you.  that's it.

KeheleyLayna
by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:34 PM

thanks everyone. i think we're going to start her in the pulls ups to see how she handles things. if she gets it right away, then ill swich to underwear.. if not.. maybe she's not ready to train yet. i dont want to force her ya know.

jmabal71
by on May. 5, 2012 at 3:30 PM
Best advice I ever got was don't push it. They know when they are ready. I did this with my oldest (17 now) and it backfired. Once I stopped the every 20 minutes to 1/2 hour thing she went all on her own. She was 3 but she never went back to diapers. My boys (8 n 10now) I was relaxed about it and it went much soother. My almost 3yr old just went rt into undies cause she was always dry n went pee on potty. Poop on the other hand isn't going as well. She is in undies all day and night. No diapers. I think if you wait til they are ready then it will go faster n smoother.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:21 PM

I always took my daughter right to the potty and had her sit on it anyway, and we talked about how we should put our pee pee in the potty before it comes out in our pants. I had her practice wiping after I cleaned up her legs. She never had an accident in public. After a couple days, she stopped having accidents at home.

Krissee2287
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:36 PM
im am potty training and have been for almost 3 months now.... he is 3 and i feel like im not getting anywhere... i work full time and he goes to his grandmas during the day and i dont think she works with him on it.. but he will not poop in his underware or pull up at all now but he does pee all the time in them.. but he also loves going to the potty when he wants to but if i tell him he needs to then he doesnt want too.... i have tried time out now that we are 3months into it but he doesnt really care.... i dont know what else to do....
JillCA
by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:00 PM

I completely agree with the comments keep it light and no big deal on accidents and praise like you've never praised before when they go in the potty. We had a pee/poo dance! My daughter is almost 4 and she likes us to check out her 'big' poo to comment on the quantity...which still amazes us how much she makes. Then again as a baby she was a factory!

My husband made the mistake of getting upset at an accident and that totally set us back. We had a heart to heart and he changed his tune.....which totaly helped. So, make sure everyone has the same approach.

We heard keep them naked helps. So, we did that at home. My child was the one that came up and demanded a diaper and would cry if she didn't get it. Ped mentioned to give her the diaper/pullup.

She was just over 3 when she was fully potty trained. We did pull ups for the longest time, then we went to underwear for during the day, pullups for night/naps. Then just night. When she was consistently dry at nap/night we stopped using pull ups. Until she was consistently dry for hours at a time, we didn't move to underwear..especially out.

We tried sticker charts, chocolate, letting her pick out her own underwear. What finally worked was saying if she went into the potty she got X type of chocolate ( 1 mini m/m) and then 10 minutes with pee toys or poo toys. She liked thomas the train, so we bought a couple trains that she LOVED. If she went potty she got to play with those trains, if not then they were up on the shelf. For us we knew she knew when she had to go as she was NAKED and asking for a diaper. Then for the no accidents she go a reward like a new book orsomething at the end of the week.

My husband did not think she would ever be trained...I knew it would happen eventually. In fact, I didn't really want to rush it as I do not like taking her to public  bathrooms...even with all the gear that they have out there.Now that she is trained I still hate taking her to the public bathroom...even though we go before we leave the house.

Lots of praise and clothes :). Good luck it will happen!

2and2onway
by on May. 7, 2012 at 6:14 AM

At first put a pull up or diaper on in public if you will be long. Make sure you can go to the restroom with her plenty also. When she has accidents just have her help you get changed and clean up, but do not punish or get angry even when its number 2, thei can actually make the training longer. Use positive rewards (not materialistic, stickers or high fives etc). Be patient, it can take a very loing time. If at any time she wants to stop, put her back in a diaper and pick it back up in a few weeks or months.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN