Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

My son doesn't listen..

Posted by on May. 4, 2012 at 4:43 PM
  • 5 Replies

Hi everyone, im a stay at home mom and i have 2 kids of my own a 2 year old son and a 7 month old daughter and a 3 year old stepdaughter...well i have my stepd every other week and those weeks my son seems to act up more then normal and it really stresses me out..im always with my kids and no matter what i do he doesnt listen to me at all...i tell him to not do stuff he does..to not hit he still does...but when daddy comes home hes a perfect child...why doesnt he listen to me i can only yell soo much i dont know what else to do..any advice...im pulling my hair out

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on May. 4, 2012 at 4:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Well first I would stop yelling.  You are the adult so when you yell you come down to his level.  No need to yell cuz you are in charge.  He either minds or he is punished and those are the only 2 options.  He doesn't listen to you because you are the primary caregiver.  Daddy around in the evenings is the fun time cuz they don't see him all day long.  It's like that at my house too.  You are just going to have to crack down on him when he acts up.  He clearly is reacting to another child in the house that comes and goes and it's probably confusing to him.  Be sympathetic to that but he still can't get away with not listening and/or hitting.  Stay consistent and it'll pass.

Sept-babies2
by on May. 4, 2012 at 4:55 PM

thank you i think it is very confusing to both of them why shes here one week and not the next and so on..but your right plus they listen to daddy and i understand why he doesnt listen to me..but i mean i even make him go to his room for like 2 minutes tops and he comes out and says sorry after..but like then does it again..and i guess maybe eventuallly hes gonna get sick of going to his room all the time..but i have a baby and the 3 year old and i just get stressed out sometimes is why i yell..most the time i ask him like please stop doing that..and he listens for a minute and does it again..so i dont know..i hope it passess...

TruthSeeker.
by on May. 4, 2012 at 4:58 PM

He's prob acting up because you have to divide your attention even more. Try to make some special time just for him if you can even if it's just 15 minutes at night to do story time with him.

rnmom4lif
by on May. 4, 2012 at 5:01 PM

yeah i think at that age they realy dont like having thier attention split and when your SD comes its split even more than usual. idk what advice to give because im kind of going through the same thing with my DS (hes 3) accept stick to your gun. if he doesnt listen then punish him. i find taking away a favorite toy or a prviledge is the most effective with mine.....

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2012 at 6:13 PM

I get it, I do.  I yell at times, I'm not perfect but I catch myself and say "yep, he wanted that to happen."  just remember that he's a child with very limited impulse control.  timeouts are not cures, they are expected consequences that your child can rely on.  he will most definitely do something again and again, short term memory is very limited and they don't have the ability to predict the consequences of their actions.  just keep doing what you are doing and try to redirect if you can before it gets to a punishment.  good luck!

Beth (32) DH (37) Tyler (5) Bayley (2 1/2)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)