Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

booster seats

Posted by on May. 5, 2012 at 3:26 AM
  • 50 Replies

My son turned 3, but he is above average for height and weight. He is at a healthy weight but most of it is his height. He is taller than most 4 year olds. He looks like he is 5. I don't know whether to put him in a booster seat already. Please help. I've gone online and asked but there isn't much help. Everytime I put him in his seat, he says oohh, mom my neck. Its at its highest. What should I do?

by on May. 5, 2012 at 3:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Elayna90
by on May. 5, 2012 at 3:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Ask your Pedi about state laws. You may have to keep him there until he is 4. I ran into that problem with my son.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CreziaMommyTo2
by on May. 5, 2012 at 6:25 AM

Washington State Car Seat Laws

• In the State of Washington all children under the age of eight (8) must be secured in a child restraint system.
  • If the child is under the age of eight (8) but is four (4) feet, nine (9) inches or taller the child may use the vehicle safety belt system.
  • Children eight (8) years of age and older or a child that is four (4) feet, nine (9) inches or taller must be secured with a vehicle safety belt or a child restraint system that properly fits the child height and weight such as a booster seat.
  • Booster seats must be used with shoulder belts at all times
  • Children under the age of thirteen (13) must be placed in the back seat of the vehicle unless it is impractical to do so.
  • All child safety systems must be installed in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions.

Exceptions to the Washington State Car Seat Law

• Children are exempt from the booster seat law requirement if they weight forty (40) pounds or above and are being transported in a vehicle with lap belts only.
  • Children under the age of eight (8) but are four (4) feet, nine (9) inches or taller may use the vehicle safety belt system.
CreziaMommyTo2
by on May. 5, 2012 at 6:26 AM

so as long as your child meets the MINIMUM requirement for the booster seat (listed on the seat) then he is fine

momamanda
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:04 AM
2 moms liked this

how tall is he and how much does he weigh? State laws are a good place to start. My 2 oldest have always been bigger then other kids. ds at 4 was 47in tall and 54lbs. He met all hieght and weight requirements since he looked like a 6 year old. so we put him in a high back booster.  He is now 6 in kindergarten and looks like an 8 year old he rides in  a regualr booster seat now. My oldest daughter who is 8, but can pass for a 10 year old, sat in a booster until her 8th birthday since that is the law in Georgia. my youngest dd who is 4 is 42 in tall and is 36 lbs still rides in a 5 point harness carseat and will be until she is over 40lbs. Then she will move to a high backed booster. I think most recomendations are under 40lbs belong in a 5 point harness But if his head goes over the top of his carseat then he needs a bigger carseat. we had to move 4 yo dd to a bigger carseat at 4 years b/c she got to tall. I know they make carseats that convert from 5-point harness to high backed booster to regualr booster. So if you are going to buy a carseat this could be a good option for you! hth

Kimmie.Miller
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:12 AM
My son is bigger than most 3 year olds. He is in a booster seat. You have to check the state law & the read the requirements on the booster seat (usually will tell you at the store with a sign infront of it) the neck part takes time to get use to - I'm 22 and it still bugs me lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyFlood
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:17 AM
1 mom liked this
My DD is only 3 and 4 months. She's 44in tall and in the 97% for height and weighs 42lbs. My DD will be harnessed for as long as possible, which is 65lbs for our nautilus.
What kind of seat do you have? While I'm not a car seat safety tech, I have done a ton of research and heeding advice from the techs and I wouldn't put my three year old in any kind of non-harnessed booster.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yellownes8
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:19 AM
I'm in New York and the law here is that the child must be 4 years old and 40 lbs...check your state laws. You can google it.
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
CreziaMommyTo2
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:25 AM

just an FYI, its not a LAW its a reccomendation, there is a HUGE difference

this is the reccomendation:

Car Seat Recommendations for Children

• Select a car seat based on your child's age and size, and choose a seat that fits in your vehicle and use it every time.
  • Always refer to your specific car seat manufacturer's instructions; read the vehicle owner's manual on how to install the car seat using the seat belt or LATCH system; and check height and weight limits.
  • To maximize safety, keep your child in the car seat for as long as possible, as long as the child fits within the manufacturer's height and weight requirements.
  • Keep your child in the back seat at least through age 12.
STEP 1:  Birth - up to 2 years
Your child under age 1 should always ride in a rear-facing car seat. There are different types of rear-facing car seats: Infant-only seats can only be used rear-facing. Convertible and 3-in-1 car seats typically have higher height and weight limits for the rear-facing position, allowing you to keep your child rear-facing for a longer period of time. Keep your child rear-facing as long as possible. It's the best way to keep him or her safe.
STEP 2:  2 - 3 years
Your child should remain in a rear-facing car seat until he or she reaches the top height or weight limit allowed by your car seat's manufacturer. Once your child outgrows the rear-facing car seat, your child is ready to travel in a forward-facing car seat with a harness, usually around age 2.
STEP 3:  4 - 7 years (up until the childs' 8th birthday)
Keep your child in a forward-facing car seat with a harness until he or she reaches the top height or weight limit allowed by your car seat's manufacturer. Many new seats on the market can now accommodate children to higher weights and heights. Once your child outgrows the forward-facing car seat with a harness, it's time to travel in a booster seat, but still in the back seat. Always use both the shoulder and lap belt every time with all booster seats.
NYS law requires that all children must use an appropriate child restraint system until their 8th birthday, however many children are not large enough by age 8 to begin using the adult seat belt.

Quoting yellownes8:

I'm in New York and the law here is that the child must be 4 years old and 40 lbs...check your state laws. You can google it.

this is the law:

What is the child passenger safety law in New York State?

1. The law requires children under the age of four to be restrained in a federally approved car seat when riding in a motor vehicle [Section 1229-c(1), NYS Vehicle & Traffic Law].
  2. If the weight of a child under the age of 4 exceeds 40 pounds, the child may be restrained in an appropriate child restraint system, allowing the child to use a booster seat. Children ages 4, 5, 6 and 7 must be properly secured in an appropriate child restraint system, one for which your child meets the weight and height recommendations of the child restraint manufacturer. [Section 1229-c(1), NYS Vehicle & Traffic Law] A child safety seat or harness/vest or booster seat may be used. Note: As of November 24, 2009, this requirement applies to all children until their 8th birthday.
  3. The vehicle's safety belts are not defined as a child restraint system under this law, as safety belts are not designed for children under 4'9" and therefore, do not protect young children.
ForeverInLove
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:27 AM

Going based off the fact someone posted WA laws... I'm assuming you live there.

He MUST be in a Child Safety Seat, meaning a 5 point harness. 

Until he reaches the age of 4, and weighs 40lbs, he need to be in a harness.

Even then, you'll want to see if he's even ready for a booster. 

He will need to remain in a booster until age 8 or 4' 9"

ForeverInLove
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:28 AM

http://www.wsp.wa.gov/traveler/docs/laws/child_restraint_law.pdf

This site is where I grabbed it from. It is a government website as well, therefore, it's right.

There is an a change at the bottom, regarding an update in the law. This regards to boostering.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN