Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Need Advice on my 3 1/2 year old daughter

Posted by on May. 5, 2012 at 9:17 AM
  • 10 Replies

Hello, to all the cafe moms i am glad i finally found a site that has moms only on here i need some  iadvice?  my 3 1/2 year old daughter racheal i found out needs to go for some hearing tests, she had some hearing tests done until one part of the hearing tests scared her now i have to go back but now i got a letter in the mail from the grandview childrens center on her now needing speech and language pathology  i mean i know she does not speak that well in terms of clear and percise sentences but what i would like to know is how long is this speech things supposed to last as she is going into school this september and i do not know if her school will allow me to take her out of class for the speech class and i also would like to know if corrective glasses will help my daughters vision and her lazy eye as we had her vision checked the first time and the eye doctor said that she had one near sight in one eye and one far sight in the other eye but what i don't really comprehend is that if my daughter had two types of vision in each eye, then wasn't the eye doctor supposed to perscribe eye glasses for her.  Instead of just saying to keep an eye on her lazy eye and if it keeps going off to go in and see him then he might perscribe her glasses?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? WELL WAS HE NOT SUPPOSED TO GIVE HER GLASSES WHEN HE NOTICED SHE HAD TWO TYPES OF VISION??????????????????????????????? Am I wrong her in thinking that I THINK that she shouldd have gotten glasses from the get go first visit with two differnt types of eye sight and a lazy eye?????????????

Any advice from any moms would be much MUCH  appreciated.

Sincerly mom of 2 girls.

by on May. 5, 2012 at 9:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.Angelica.
by Angie on May. 5, 2012 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this

could you go see another doctor? I don't know much about speech therapy. Welcome to the group though!

SharonHernandez
by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group! I'm Sharon, and I think that the doctor should have prescribed her some glasses with her eyes not seeing the same. Maybe you should go to a different doctor, one that is going to do something about your daughter's vision. Or call the doctor and ask him why he didnt prescribe her any.

Cafe AmyS
by Group Admin on May. 5, 2012 at 3:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome!

You might want to consider getting a second opinion on everything and try not to stress out too much.  As for school, many students are in speech therapy and many schools employ someone to help with that.

CampClan
by on May. 5, 2012 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this

The school should offer her some type of speech classes there at school. And the eye doctor should have prescibed her glasses.

I work at a daycare & there was a girl who had speech & hearing problems when she was 3. She had s speech therapist come into the daycare once a week to work with her. Now she is in kindergarten & getting the help she needs through the school.

erinsmom1964
by on May. 5, 2012 at 3:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Your overreacting. No he shouldnt of jumped to prescribe glasses for such a young child especialy being near sighted in one and far in the other. Many people wear contacts that do that ON PURPOSE so they dont need bi focals or 2 pairs of glasses to carry around. Most people will unknowningly adjust and end up seeing pretty well. I wouls assume for a child that knows no better it would work even easier. As far as the lazy eye that co.monly corrects itself so again a wait and see approach is common. You can always see another Optometrist and probaly find one to do what you want but you might actually SPEAK to her Dr and hear his reasoning and plan before getting so worked up.
PEEK05
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:22 PM

She should have gotten glasses.

My 4 year old nephew's lazy eye has not corrected itself with the use of glasses, so he will be getting surgery. He has had glasses since RIGHT before he turned 2.

mygirls2468
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:35 AM

thank you and i should i might just get a second opinion i think

mygirls2468
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:37 AM

I  couldnt agree with you more that is exactly what i thought and i was ready to pay for her glasses that day thinking that he WOULD  perscribe her glasses?

jmabal71
by on May. 7, 2012 at 11:26 PM
1 mom liked this
There are many occasions when a lazy eye will not correct itself. My son had one from birth. When he was 2 1/2 he got glasses. He wore them until he was 4. He had eye surgery to correct it. Thankfully it worked for the most part. He has no depth perception or perrifial vision tho. They had to cut a muscle behind the eye. He may have to have future surgeries as he gets older. He does however have 20/20 vision now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on May. 8, 2012 at 1:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm really suprised they aren't doing anything for the lazy eye at this point. It's not normal for one eye to do that (besides from newborns). For that reason alone, I'd look for a second opinion. But they don't always give glasses. A lot of times the patch the good eye, forcing the bad or lazy eye to work more.

As far as needing glasses for the near/far sighted --- I have no idea. I have no experience in that area. I don't wear glasses, my kids don't either.

And as for the speech, if she qualifies for it then she probably needs it. What type of school is she going to? And where is she getting the speech from?

Public schools usually have their own speech pathologist. And if she needs speech, she probably would qualify to attend a public preschool for free. And receive speech for free too.

If she is going to a private preschool, the public school speech person may come out to see her in the private school or they may want her to come to them (another reason to consider the public school option).

But if it's a private school and private speech, you'll most likely be going back and forth between the two. Your child isn't the first one who has needed speech. The school will understand.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)