Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

how do i get him to let me brush his teeth?

Posted by   + Show Post

i try to get my son  to let me brush his teeth but he just throughs fits. once he has his toothbrush in his own hands hes fine but he doesnt actually brush them he just sucks off the toothpaste. wat should i do?

by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:18 AM
Replies (11-17):
jbyrd898
by Member on May. 6, 2012 at 1:15 PM

I would just brush his teeth first, then give it to him to use. He will get better at it!

amandaxshawn08
by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:17 PM
My son is 18 months with 10 teeth.
4 on top front. 3 on bottom front.
And 3 molars 2 on right 1 on top left.

I bought a soft bristle kids toothbrush from walmart and training toothpast from 0-36 months. Its strawberry banana flavored (or so it says).
He just lets me do it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
braezmommy89
by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:19 PM
I let my dd hold her own tooth brush while I brush my teeth, she watched me and tried to mimic me... After a couple months of that she got the hang of it. Shes 18 months old and when I say "Ready to get ready" she knows we are gonna shower, brush our teeth etc.

I brush mine first and let her do hers after, after a minute or so I do it for her... She loves it.

How old is your son?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wendsdy
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 1:50 PM

A dentist came to my Daughter's preschool and told them about "sugar bugs" in their teeth. My Daughter always liked brushing her teeth but after she heard that, she would brush her teeth the way the dentist told her and would talk about sugar bugs. Now my 2 year old who doesn't talk much yet will love to brush his teeth. He comes up to me and opens my mouth and looks in and says "no bugs" Its very cute. Maybe you can find a good kids dentist that explain things to them or just try to do the sugar bug thing and see if that works.

.Angelica.
by Angie on May. 6, 2012 at 5:52 PM

tell him you will brush first, then it will be his turn to brush.

kokyuhomama
by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:27 PM

I would allow my son to brush my teeth first, then he would be more amenable to me brushing his.  I would also make a game of it, like say "I've got to find those little sugar bugs - we need to find 20", and he really grooved to that.  It also helps with counting.   If he likes airplanes, then let him know you need to park the planes in his mouth, like an airplaine hangar, and pretend the brush is a plane, landing, and brush as it lands.  The play possbilities are endless.  Have fun!

AshMomToShawn
by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:28 PM
Play dentist? I did it with my son when he hated getting his teetg brushed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)