Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

3yr. old ds afraid of all... normal? **EDIT EXAMPLES**

Posted by on May. 6, 2012 at 3:42 PM
  • 12 Replies
My son is afraid of many many things. Like I never seen a kid that afraid. Is that normal? He has always been this way. He will be 4 in oct.

Bath poofs(best I can describe)
Trains
Thunder(understandable)
Vaccume(sp?)
Fish(won't touch them)
Use to be those horses that you would get on and bounce finally got him over that.
Firepits(even with no fire)
Those are the ones I can think on the top of my head...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 6, 2012 at 3:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Wendsdy
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Can you give us a few examples of what he is afraid of?

rwblake2011
by on May. 6, 2012 at 4:30 PM
My sd screams if a bug lands on her sounds like she is being hit by a car.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by Angie on May. 6, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Quoting Wendsdy:

Angie211
by on May. 6, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Mine has just started with the wind.  She is so scared that a little wind means a tornado is coming.  She has also just started telling us there are monsters in her closet.  She will be 5 in July.

emilymarie07
by on May. 6, 2012 at 6:13 PM
Trains
Thunder(understandable)
Vaccume(sp?)
Fish(won't touch them)
Use to be those horses that you would get on and bounce finally got him over that.

Quoting Wendsdy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emilymarie07
by on May. 6, 2012 at 6:13 PM
Trains
Thunder(understandable)
Vaccume(sp?)
Fish(won't touch them)

Quoting .Angelica.:

Quoting Wendsdy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KaylaMillar
by on May. 6, 2012 at 6:44 PM
I think so. Everyone is afraid of some things.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wendsdy
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Hmm. Bath poofs?  Like a bath sponge? If so, my kids have one that is shaped like a lion. I don't know if that makes it more scary or not. Trains?  Has he ever seen Thomas the Train...which to me is a little creepy but kids seem to like it. Thunder makes sense. Vacuum? Maybe get him a little toy vacuum? We have one that is Sesame Street. To me its frightening because its elmo but kids like it LOL.  At least most of the things you mentioned aren't things you would normally run into everyday. I don't think its abnormal.  He will probably outgrow it as long as you don't make a huge deal out of it.I know you didn't ask for solutions to all of these but thought if I mentioned a few, it could maybe help him out of the fear. My little guy has no fear which isn't good either. He will touch anything. Jump from anywhere. Its scary. I would just try to make each thing that comes up a little less scary like maybe a funny story or voice or something to make him feel better about it. We do that sometimes with bees, flies or whatever my kids are scared of. It seems to work. Good Luck!

Quoting emilymarie07:

Trains
Thunder(understandable)
Vaccume(sp?)
Fish(won't touch them)

Quoting Wendsdy:

emilymarie07
by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:20 PM
No advice is good! :)... but he LOVES thomas the train that is why it makes me wonder why so afraid of real trains? Bees he won't freak out about so much just runs... but bath poofs not sponges but ummm yeah ha. Hard to describe! But its a common thing! Lol

Vacuum we have a seasme street one that makes the sounds but isn't a "real" one and he isn't afraid of that... its just idk... I just so bad want him to not be so afraid of things :(

In another group I told someone I was just soo worried because my son is "bigger" we are working on it but when he starts school and he is the way he is now kids are mean and I don't think he will be able to handle it and that worries/scares me the most...

My dd is the same exact way as your ds. She is not afraid of anything! It scares me. Its to the point she will hit her head really hard and it won't phase her. Like couple weeks ago she fell and slammed her head really hard in my head you heard the hit clear across the room. It hurt me so bad and she just stared at me and got up and walked away lol. She will chase bees and tries to grab them. Now she worries me with that stuff ha...

I know every kid is different but I just never seen a kid so afraid of things as my son is...

Quoting Wendsdy:

Hmm. Bath poofs?  Like a bath sponge? If so, my kids have one that is shaped like a lion. I don't know if that makes it more scary or not. Trains?  Has he ever seen Thomas the Train...which to me is a little creepy but kids seem to like it. Thunder makes sense. Vacuum? Maybe get him a little toy vacuum? We have one that is Sesame Street. To me its frightening because its elmo but kids like it LOL.  At least most of the things you mentioned aren't things you would normally run into everyday. I don't think its abnormal.  He will probably outgrow it as long as you don't make a huge deal out of it.I know you didn't ask for solutions to all of these but thought if I mentioned a few, it could maybe help him out of the fear. My little guy has no fear which isn't good either. He will touch anything. Jump from anywhere. Its scary. I would just try to make each thing that comes up a little less scary like maybe a funny story or voice or something to make him feel better about it. We do that sometimes with bees, flies or whatever my kids are scared of. It seems to work. Good Luck!

Quoting emilymarie07:

Trains

Thunder(understandable)

Vaccume(sp?)

Fish(won't touch them)

Quoting Wendsdy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kokyuhomama
by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Gosh, I wish I could offer some insight.  I have a 4.5 year old who is scared of kids near his age and younger.  I had a friend over with her 4 month old baby, and all he did was cry for them to leave.   He is just as frightened of dogs, horses, loud noises, etc.  I think that some kids have sensitivities that they outgrow over time.  I know that mine also has auditory sensitivity issues, too. Good luck to you. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)