Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ok so my 22 month old got a tick - just a red one kinda large. I couldn't get it out for anything, tried the alcohol, Listerine & Vaseline. Finally my husband got it out but when he pulled it out the mouth/pinchers broke off and are still in. We have tried and tried to get them out but they won't come. One problem is the area is still kinda swollen and red (tick happened last night - Saturday night - at bath time) so we can't really get the tweezers to grab it.

My mom is telling me to take her to the doctor, but that kinda seems a bit much - any advice? Should I call the dr (if I do, knowing my drs office they will tell me to come in) or should i just keep putting alcohol on it and leave it be?

Any advice is appreciated.

*update - Thanks everyone. We took her in because she started running a fever and coughing Sunday night. Well she just caught a cold - thank goodness. The doctor said that as long as the tick bite doesn't have a red ring around it, usually about a half dollar size, then I really don't need to worry about it. Her body will end up pushing out the pinchers I just need to keep it clean. He also mentioned trying next time to get the tick off with Peat Tree Oil, never heard of it, but he said it always worked really well with his kids.

Thanks for the advice.

by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:37 PM
Replies (11-18):
.Angelica.
by Angie on May. 7, 2012 at 10:15 AM

i would have taken her to the doctor before trying to pull it out myself. I've always heard one reason to try not to do it yourself is because it's hard to get it out without it breaking like what happened to you. I would be worried about disease. Better be safe and bring her in.

MommyJDTJ
by on May. 7, 2012 at 11:11 AM
I would have tried the match thing. You put a lit match near it and it comes out on its own from the heat. If that doesn't work pull it out and if its head got stuck go to dr.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyJDTJ
by on May. 7, 2012 at 11:11 AM
How is she doing?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
corrinacs
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Take her to the doctor!  I just want to be sure that its not Lyme Disease, which can present just the way you describe.  The swollen area description is what has me worried.

Good luck mama!!!

LucyHarper
by on May. 7, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Everyone in my family has gotten dozens of ticks before, wait for the swelling to go down and then try again to get the head out, if it wont come out, its okay, it will drop off itself in time. Just keep a close on the bite for signs of lyme, but besides that she should be fine. We've never seen a doctor and have never had any complications.

dearg76
by Heather on May. 8, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Thanks for asking and the advice, She is doing well. I got her into the doctor and he said that it looks like the cold is just a cold, whew! and that the tick bite doens't seem to be infected. He left the pinchers in - saying that her body would push it out. We managed to get the head out before going to the doctor. He also said typically with tick bites if a red ring shows up that grows to about a half dollar size and she spikes a fever then it usually means that she has either an allergy to the bite (didn't know that was possible) or that she has contract one of the tick carried illnesses, the one they see most around here is Lyme Disease. usually shows up in 1-5 days after the tick bite. 

MommyRJ
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2012 at 9:07 AM
Use tweezers! Lol
I keep tweezers and a lighter on y kitchen window sill
If you pull at it just right it'll all come out. My daughter got one on in her hair and I didn't see it til. Day later. Yikes.

We get ticks a lot tho. We live in the country in Nd so it's normal to us. But as long as the area doesn't get a weird rash around it, it's usually fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
homextownxgirl
by on May. 8, 2012 at 9:15 AM
I so glad she is okay...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)