Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Help! My 4 year old just diagnosed with seasonal allergies.

Posted by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:24 AM
  • 9 Replies

I have never had allergies but my four year old was just diagnosed with them and has even been put on a nebulizer for wheezing and coughing.  I am stressed out and confused as I do not know how to relieve his symptoms other than the prescribed medication from his pediatrician.  Today we spent a beautiful day outdoors in the backyard but now my poor baby has puffy eyes.  Itchy runny nose and a cough.  He looks and obviously feels miserable.

Should I not let him play outdoors any longer? I have a huge list of questions for his doctor and I just don't know where to begin :( Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
zolanmel
by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:25 AM
Are they sure it's not asthma?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
itsm3
by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:01 AM

poor thing.  i would not let him outdoors if there's a high pollen count outside so you'll have to keep an eye on that (look at the weather network - they usually post stuff like that daily).  

if that were my dd, i swear, i would take her to see my acupuncturist.  i would much rather prefer something natural than give meds and you'd be surprised how many things acupuncture can cure or at the very least, help manage.  will probably be tough for a kid seeing that they use needles but it doesn't hurt a bit.

good luck; i hope you find something that works!

visit me at my blog:  vodka and soda | www.lifeinprogress.ca

i'm charting my progress of the 30-day shred  |  journey to a healther me

hwifeandmom
by on May. 7, 2012 at 11:27 AM

What meds is your son taking?  It's harder to calm an allergic reaction than to prevent a reaction, so make sure your son is taking whatever preventative medicines the doctor prescribes.  Sometimes you can take two different allergy meds, such as taking both Claritin and Benadryl, so if your son is having a hard time controlling allergies, ask the doc about multiple meds.

If you play outside, make sure he takes a bath and changes his clothes when he comes inside.  You could add some Aveeno colloidal oatmeal to the water to soothe the skin.  When the pollen counts are really high, you should probably avoid the outdoors altogether.

OBImomma
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2012 at 11:32 AM
My kids have horrible allergies. My ds (4) takes Claritin every morning and my dd taked zyrtec every night. It works for them. If they are wheezing we have a nebulizer to give them a breathing treatment, but we very rarely use it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LAH2x
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 11:47 AM

DD and I have to take Zyrtec everyday, don't miss a dose it works when it gets a build up in the system. Liquid Benadryl will help an attack. On high pollen days keep the windows shut and use the a/c. Also when you have been outside make sure he has a shower and wash his hair before bed. The pollen will come off onto his pillow and he will be inhaling it all night. 

corrinacs
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Hey mama,

My baby has seasonal allergies too :/.  They are a bummer.  Other than medication, the only way you can "treat" allergies is avoidance.  And I doubt that you want to keep your kiddo in a plastic bubble all of the time.'

Just keep going with the meds the doctor has prescribed.  If you feel the meds aren't working after a few weeks, or your child's behavior changes, please let your doctor know.  It took us a while to get my son's medications squared away due to his allergies/astham.  He's now on Allegra twice a day and Singulaire and he's been doing better than he ever has!!!!!!!!!!

So, to help you cater questions, what has happened so far?  What meds is the kid on, etc.  I will be more than happy to help you.

There is also a group on here you may be interested in called "Young Children with allergies, asthma and excema"  You are more than welcome to join and ask questions there too :) :).

weirdkids
by on May. 7, 2012 at 1:31 PM

my kids and me all have seasonal allergies. pick up some allergy eyedrops and some benidryl. (or clariton works well too) give it to em every morning because pollen gets in the house too through open windows. the eye drops will help with the puffy eyes. they used to send my daughter home weekly for "pink eye" i got so fed up i asked the dr if its possible that is nothing more than allergies. they put her on clairiton and havent had a problem since. 

flowerfunleah
by Member on May. 7, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Oh  no! I dont have any experience with seasonal allergies either, I hope he feels better soon!

AHmom103
by on May. 7, 2012 at 1:39 PM

My 4 year old dd has them too, and I think my 2 year old may as well. I've found the best thing to do is try to keep them indoors on days when the pollen count is really high. To make up for that, I take them out a lot right after it rains, because the stuff isn't floating through the air as much. Also, make sure he is bathed and his clothes are washed soon after coming inside. My 4 year old is on Allegra, and I make sure to never miss a dose in the spring and fall. When the Allegra isn't enough to prevent the symptoms, I will give her a dose of children's benadryl as soon as she starts having symptoms.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)