Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

How do i get my 2 year old to stop drinking bottles?

Posted by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:44 PM
  • 51 Replies

my 2 year old still doesn't sleep through the night. my husband used to get him at night but not his job starts earlier so it is all me.  i am tired. i am tired of him wanting  1-3 milky bobbles at night. i dont' need to hear that having my son still on bottles is a bad thing, i know this, i just need some ideas to stop him. i haven't tried the bottle fairy yet i plan on doing that this week though. any other ideas?

by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lilmama8408
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 2:46 PM
3 moms liked this
Toss them out. If they arnt there he can't see them and will soon forget. But the first couple nights are hard.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Allie_kat1
by Member on May. 7, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Your the parent. Just dont give him one. I he asks for a bottle, give him a sippy cup. He will most likely be very unhappy about it for a few days, but he will get over it.

YzmaRocks
by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:50 PM
Well, no bottle experience here but I can tell you what I did to night wean. Maybe it will help you wean him off the bottle. I started by not nursing until 11. After a couple days I moved it to 12, then 1, then 2, and so on. He was used to coming to bed to nurse so I explained to him that he could come snuggle for a few minutes without nursing then he had to go back to bed. It took a couple weeks but he started sleeping through the night once it was done. He was 16 months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tginn20
by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Take them away (have him help you put them away...make a big deal about him being a big kid.) If he wakes up, give him a small drink in a sippy. Then after that, be done. Don't give in. He is still getting up during the night bc it is routine at this point. He is old enough to sleep thru the night w/out waking bc he is hungry.

GL

skylersmom44
by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:59 PM
1 mom liked this

This. You have to just get rid of them. Don't just put them up, literally get rid of them so you can't resort back to them. He will be mad for a couple of nights and you may lose sleep but it won't last forever. The sooner the better. 

Quoting lilmama8408:

Toss them out. If they arnt there he can't see them and will soon forget. But the first couple nights are hard.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2012 at 8:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Throw them in the garbage.  There's no reason a 2 year old should be waking up 1-3 nights for a bottle.  He's in the habit of waking for one.  You will have a few rough nights but there is no easy answer to this.  You created this situation so you'll have to be prepared to change it and probably lose a lot more sleep in the short term.  Good luck

Beth (32) DH (37) Tyler (5) Bayley (2 1/2)

Threes.Company
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Just get rid of them.  Don't make it an option anymore.  He is capable of sleeping through the night at 2 years old.  Your decisions to give him bottles and go in his room at night is enabling the behavior.  No need for a bottle fairy.  Just tell him the bottles are gone and that he has to use a sippy cup (or whatever you have) like a big boy now and that bottles are for babies.  I have a 2-year-old son, too.  He's not on a bottle, but if he were doing something like that to me, that would be my response.  Sorry, kiddo.  No more bottles.  After a few days to a week, he will likely forget about it if you stick to your guns and just stop.

heatherNisi409
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:10 PM
1 mom liked this
I had the same issue with my dd wanting a bottle and a lot of it was because I didn't want to deal with the fight of breaking her of the habit. One day I just threw the last two in the trash and got her some fun sippy cups. She was mad for a few days but her only option was a sippy or nothing at all. Whenever she asked for it I told her I didnt have anymore bottles. She really wasnt as upset as I thought she would be (maybe a few minutes of fussing).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
corrinacs
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Cold turkey....or at least gradually bring it down one by one.  But you are right, you do need to stop this.  With Caden, we simply took the bottles away and repalced them with sippies with water in them.  The first few nights were tough, but after a while he got used to it.

lruggio
by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Just throw them out.  first lesson...life is hard...so get used to it, lol.  give him a sippy cup and make no apologies.  stay consistant and forget that there ever was a bottle...if you are firm, your baby will get over it faster than if you talk about it, make apologies and so forth. This is the first lesson in being the parent and making the rules...you can do it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN