Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

How do i get my 2 year old to stop drinking bottles?

Posted by   + Show Post

my 2 year old still doesn't sleep through the night. my husband used to get him at night but not his job starts earlier so it is all me.  i am tired. i am tired of him wanting  1-3 milky bobbles at night. i dont' need to hear that having my son still on bottles is a bad thing, i know this, i just need some ideas to stop him. i haven't tried the bottle fairy yet i plan on doing that this week though. any other ideas?

by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:44 PM
Replies (11-20):
PEEK05
by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Yeah, at that age, I would cut them cold turkey. He will learn not to expect a bottle at night if you stop giving them. It might be torture for a couple of days but the end reward will be worth it.

LucyHarper
by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:23 PM
1 mom liked this

He should never be having a milk anything at night, milk is full of natural sugars and will rot right through the teeth if left on them at night, after teeth brushing time he should have nothing but water until morning. Going to bed with milk is the leading cause of cavities in toddlers. As for getting rid of the bottles, just get rid of them, if its no longer an option it wont be a huge struggle. Only offer a sippy cup of water at bedtime, if he cries, he cries, in time he will get used to it if you are consistant and dont give in. Warm water with a squeeze of lemon is very soothing.

lilmomma625
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:41 PM
Yep just gotta throw them out. He will live... I promise. Probably the worst 3 days of your life but you will live too. :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
itsm3
by on May. 8, 2012 at 7:51 AM

at 2yo, he's waking for bottles out of habit which is bad for his sleep and yours!  

i would honestly toss them out - no bottles means you can't do anything about it either.  instead, give him a lovey and then stay consistent.  he won't be happy and he will be wakeful but once he understands that there's no point in waking up (for a bottle), he'll just go back to sleep.  the first few nights are hard but just be consistent.

visit me at my blog:  vodka and soda | www.lifeinprogress.ca

i'm charting my progress of the 30-day shred  |  journey to a healther me

mypbandj
by Jen on May. 8, 2012 at 8:35 AM
Throw the bottles out. But replace it with a sippy cup of water and leave that in his crib. Sometimes I wake up thirsty so I don't blame him for that. But milk will rot his teeth. Even if you decide that you want to keep the bottles for awhile, switch to water anyway. Hey, he might be mad that you're giving him water instead of milk and wean from the bottles on his own.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gweneveer
by on May. 8, 2012 at 8:42 AM

I agree.  Good luck!

Quoting Allie_kat1:

Your the parent. Just dont give him one. I he asks for a bottle, give him a sippy cup. He will most likely be very unhappy about it for a few days, but he will get over it.

cjc2009
by Member on May. 8, 2012 at 9:21 AM
i talked to the dr when my daughter was 14 months and he told me to just throw them out and we had to get her to stop sleeping in our bed at the same time and we had to just let her cry now she will be 2 this month and she sleeps in her own room with out anything to drink it took a few months for the bed training but the bottles not long at all just dont give it to him
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hisservent
by on May. 8, 2012 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Obviously it's not a nutritional thing. he doesn't NEED the milk during the night. How about transitioning him to water and then eventually taking the bottle away completely? Does he drink from a bottle during the day or just at night?

here's what I would do. The first time he wakes for a bottle, give him a bottle of water. That's better for his teeth than the milk. Let him drink a little bit and then have him go back to bed. If he wakes again, repeat. Don't fill the bottle each time. Allow it to be less and less each time he gets it.  Maybe eventually he'll decide he doesn't want it anymore. 

OR, If he usually wakes 3 times, just give it to him twice the first 2 nights and then once the second 2 nights and then no more. It's like gradually dropping a feeding session. 

It's only going to work if you stick with it and it will be tough at first, but he'll make it through and so will you. This will definately help with potty training too!

Christian wife and mother  

in lovetoddler boy toddler girlpregnant belly

frankiesma530
by on May. 8, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Just make it disappear and replace it with a really cute sippy with his favorite characters on it.

Hisservent
by on May. 8, 2012 at 9:39 AM

I forgot to add a suggestion for the sippy cup. lol Instead of giving him a bottle, offer the sippy cup but try to keep it to water, not milk. I get thirsty thoughout the night but I don't need an entire cup. you can try filling the cup of water and putting it beside his bed NOT IN IT. if he wakes hand him the cup, let him take a couple sips and take it away. If he wakes again, repeat. 

Quoting Allie_kat1:

Your the parent. Just dont give him one. I he asks for a bottle, give him a sippy cup. He will most likely be very unhappy about it for a few days, but he will get over it.

Christian wife and mother  

in lovetoddler boy toddler girlpregnant belly

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)