Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Hair help!

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:55 PM
  • 15 Replies
My 19mth old DD has very straight, very fine and very blonde hair. No one in my family has this type of hair she got it from my dh but he just shaves his since he was a kid. I am looking for tips to take care of it. Like should I trim it right now or let it grow? Also is it true chlorine will turn her hair green? And because her hair is so fine is there anything I should avoid using on it like hair spray or what not?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommynwife26
by Member on May. 8, 2012 at 3:03 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momamanda
by on May. 8, 2012 at 3:46 PM

I have Very fine hair and super thin my daughters too. although out hair is brown not blonde so not sure about the green thing. I Don't think there is anything you shouldn't use but I can tell you that no matter how much hair spray I use  my hair will not hold a curl niether will my girls. As far as cutting. A simple layered cut is good if you want it shorter my suggestion for her bangs would be to let then grow out. As annoying as it is to have to keep them out of her eyes it's more annoying to have to trim bangs every couple weeks. JMO hth

RobynS
by Robyn on May. 8, 2012 at 3:49 PM

My DD's is the same way. We've never cut it (except for bangs) and I am not good with hair, so getting it in ponytails or braids is hard (and barrettes won't stay in).

Blonde hair CAN turn green from chlorine, but DD's never did last summer at the pool. Rinse it out just after swimming (maybe with some conditioner) and it should be fine. They do make special shampoos for removing chlorine also.

We've been using detangler spray when we comb DD's hair to help remove tangles and I've been trying to braid it more so that it gets less tangly throughout the day. Good luck!

kerritastic
by on May. 9, 2012 at 9:59 AM

i would keep the ends trimmed so that her hair will look neat and not stringy at the ends, just straight across the botton should do the trick!  Hair will turn green from chlorine but if you wet her hair before she goes in it is less likely because the hair will not be able to soak up as much if it is already wet.  Rinse immediately after and like other posts have said, there are clarifying shampoo's that will remove the staining.  You can also go the extra step before and wet and use a conditioner  in the hair as a barrier before getting in the water.  Hope this helps

robibuni
by on May. 9, 2012 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this
BUMP!

I'm in the same boat except my 3 year old's super fine, straight hair is long in the back and short on the sides and it ALL looks stringy, but I just can't bring myself to cut it. Not only that, but she won't let me touch her hair before she starts screaming :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nursemc
by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:31 AM

I had white blonde hair as a kid and rinsing with vinegar helped and is a lot cheaper than a clarifying shampoo. I'm having the opposite problem as you. My 3yo dd has VERY curly hair she got from her grandpa and I have no idea what I'm doing. I use detangler and a wide tooth comb but she still looks like a used Q-tip after a few hours.

k.stark
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:37 PM

I have dealt with fine hair for like ever!! My hair was REALLY fine before I had started dying it.... it was also real blonde before I started dying it..... anyhow... There is this stuff called hair  thickening lotion made by redken <or however you spell it.... you have to get it at a salon... I also use this spray by suave  it's called volumizing root boost spray... it is awesome... my hair doesn't hold a curl or anything either... but with that suave stuff and some hair spray when done curling my hair will stay nice and curled... tho I wouldn't do that stuff until she is older.... With my DD she has pretty fine hair and we use the tiny clear hair ties... the regular hair ties fall out of her hair... 

babowes
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:52 PM
Bump...sorry we all have dark hair. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ddhb2007
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:54 PM

My daughter's hair is like that - very fine and thin.  She keeps picking out short hair cuts from the books.  It looks much better short than stringy and long.

Mommynwife26
by Member on May. 9, 2012 at 1:16 PM
Trick is in the shampoo/conditioner., Aussie has some great friz free products that my oldest and I use (thick curly hair) I don't use a detangler I put some of the conditioner mixed with water in a spray bottle. Also have a frizz gel from Aussie we use works wonders. I do a lot of braids on my daughter, keeps it under control and spray it with hair spray keeps it from frizzing till she sleeps on it. See I can deal with that type of hair lol.

Quoting nursemc:

I had white blonde hair as a kid and rinsing with vinegar helped and is a lot cheaper than a clarifying shampoo. I'm having the opposite problem as you. My 3yo dd has VERY curly hair she got from her grandpa and I have no idea what I'm doing. I use detangler and a wide tooth comb but she still looks like a used Q-tip after a few hours.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)