Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers
So I recently was linked to an article on a cat blog that was about how pet moms are moms too. I read it, thought about it, and commented.

Now, I understand that not everyone has the choice to have babies, and that some simply choose not to. I don't really care if someone wants to call themselves a pet mom or refer to their cat as their kid... Whatever floats your boat. I stated all of this and then simply tried to point out that call yourself what you might, but the line is drawn when you think that raising your cat is just the same as me raising my kids. I pointed out the difference in financial commitments, time commitments, and sheer energy. Their response to me was vicious. Saying things such as "well my cat will never grow up to be a serial killer", or saying things such as "ohhh we have another martyr". I became incensed. I abhor anyone pitying me (why would you pity someone with the greatest job in the world), I certainly don't need recognition, I know what I do and how important it is.

I don't dislike animals. Quite the opposite, I love having dogs but being a single mom of a five and two year old I simply haven't the time or energy to have yet another entity that depends solely on me. I also can most assuredly say that I can love a pet to pieces, but i could never put a pet on the same level of my children.

After a heated discussion I was banned from the discussion, while the people who made wild accusations about my mothering skills, and said that children in general are nothing but problems waiting to happen were not rebuked in any way. I generally do my best to avoid conflict, but in this case I urge you to check the site yourself. (link posted below)

Be any kind of mother you want to, but never imply that having a cat is in any way like the job we moms do day and night for the rest of our lives.

Site here: http://www.catster.com/lifestyle/hey-susan-maushart-pet-moms-are-real-moms
by on May. 9, 2012 at 10:59 AM
Replies (21-24):
bethanyb0325
by on May. 10, 2012 at 2:00 AM
You said cats right!! Remember they are probably those crazy cat ladies with like 20 cats lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jojo827
by on May. 10, 2012 at 2:16 AM
Haha where is iluv2meow?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gweneveer
by on May. 10, 2012 at 8:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Comparing an animal to a child is ridiculous.  I have owned pets, and its NOTHING like having to care for a child.  Sure, you love your pets, but you dont love them the same as your children.  

DeeDee205
by on May. 10, 2012 at 12:37 PM

I was, and still am, a "pet parent" for all of my adult life.  I loved my dogs more than anything in the world.  I finally was blessed with a daughter when I was 40 and did not realize how much more love I could have for another individual (dog or person).  The love for my child far outweighs the love for my dog.  But if someone is not blessed with a child and only has cats or dogs, then the love they are giving their animal is, in their mind, perhaps equal to what they percieve to be love for a child.  I would not judge another for loving their animal.  But if they put their pets interest and well being above their childs, that's a different story.  And, to the other poster, please don't take it personal if someone has bumper stickers saying their "dog is smarter than your honor roll student",... it is meant to be funny.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN