Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Need some help

Posted by on May. 10, 2012 at 12:50 PM
  • 9 Replies

My son gets speech therapy through the state at this time.  A speech pathologist comes to the home once a week for an hour and works with him.  This works great as I homeschool my older two (7 and 5).  After he turns 3 (Oct) he will get services from our local school district instead.  The district requires him to attend their preschool program which runs M-Thr 9-11:30.  I was considering only putting him in 2 days or maybe three.  None of our kids have every been in care other than a sitter for an hour or two.  So the whole thing is very new to me. 

The center is about 20mins from our house each way.  This will cut into our school morning a lot.  They do offer a bus with carseats for those who need it.  I am not sure about the whole thing. 

Anyone been in this situation before?  Any tips, advice ideas? 

He needs the speech therapy so he is going.  Just not sure how much, and how he is getting there.

by on May. 10, 2012 at 12:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Lionessto3
by on May. 10, 2012 at 1:20 PM

I am unclear of what you are asking if you are asking about the program for your child I would say to do some drop ins once a week at different times to make sure things are up to your standards, if you are concerned about the bus ride I would say make sure you are there to put your child on the bus and pick him up that way u you can see how he leaves and comes home on the bus ride.

corrinacs
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Hey,

my best suggestion is to figure out how much he NEEDS to ensure he's going to be on track!  That's waht you want to make sure of first before you make that decision.

AOf course, this may be harder than you think...the teachers may think he needs to be there each day which may or may not be true.  Just be frank with them about the situation.

I would also check out the facilities, the teacher and the transportation (if you decide to go the bus route).  Get familiar and get your feeligns out after seeing that ;).  That should help.

Good luck and I hope all of this works for him :)

zolanmel
by on May. 11, 2012 at 12:53 PM

it sounds like  a good plan ! He will be okay! and you can always bring your other kids along and teach from the car:)

PEEK05
by on May. 11, 2012 at 2:16 PM

We have not been in this situation, though I have a feeling we will be down this path with our son when he is a little older. Here is a bump.

LML1
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Call the pre k program and ask. No such thing as a dumb question.

cmorris1200
by on May. 11, 2012 at 3:36 PM

I know in our school district in CT,  the special needs preschoolers get bused to school.  You might want to check that option.

mypbandj
by Jen on May. 11, 2012 at 3:53 PM
Here, they have to qualify for preschool. Some kids qualify for speech but not the preschool so parents have to take them each week, like they would for private therapy. Is that an option at all?

If he's going to go to school, I'd start with the bus. Just try it. It's easier to quit the bus than to try and add it in.

My son went to the school district preschool for one year and they bussed him. Im very over protective but felt comfortable with the bus. The driver and the aid on the bus were very nice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emarin77
by on May. 11, 2012 at 6:00 PM

I agree with many of the ladies here.  Call the school to ask your  questions and even make an appointment to see the classroom. Never keep yourself uneducated about the options that can assist your children in becoming the best that they can be in their education.

MomOfOneCoolKid
by on May. 11, 2012 at 7:48 PM

I am for getting him as much help as he can get :) Its free. Take advantage, I say :)

Best wishes for you and your boy :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)