Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Sucking her thumb at 2 yrs old

Posted by on May. 10, 2012 at 1:24 PM
  • 14 Replies

my child was sucking her thumb in the womb, after birth she sucked her thumb until she was 6 months old, for the past week at the age of 2 she has started sucking her thumb again at night when she goes to sleep, I thought she was reinacting to baby pics I have of her sucking her thumb but when she was sleep I pulled it out and she started crying trying to put her thumb back in her mouth when I saw she wasnt getting her thumb in her mouth and still crying I put her thumb in there for her and she stopped crying. Has anyone experienced this before?

The rabbit always catches up to the turtle eventually

by on May. 10, 2012 at 1:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Thankfully my kids are not thumb suckers but I was.  It's a losing battle for you.  You can't cut her fingers off and you can't be with her 24/7 to pull it out.  My son was a binkie kid until he was 3.  I was happy for that because, at the end of the day, we could throw the binkie away, but not fingers.  The more you react the more she's going to want it.  I sucked my thumb off and on until I was 6 or 7 then moved to nail biting.   They tried the gross nail polish and lots of other things but it never worked.  My dentist threatened to put something in my mouth with little spikes on it but they never did.  I just outgrew it.  I wouldn't worry about it at 2 years old.  It's like a binkie.  My dentist said 3 is about the age to worry about thumbs and binkies.  I would just let it alone for now and see if she stops on her own.  If she's still doing it at 3, talk to your dentist and/or pedi.

RHayden25
by on May. 10, 2012 at 1:39 PM
Mine is almost 3.5 and once she found her thumb as an infant she has NEVER stopped. I fear she may suck her thumb forever. LOL
luvhubandbabys
by on May. 10, 2012 at 1:40 PM
My dd does it she's 2. I'm not worried about even if I was I can't cut it off so what's the point. I'm sure she won't go to kinder sucking her thumb.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tarac1012
by on May. 10, 2012 at 3:42 PM

my dd is 2 and sucks her thumb... I've never been a thumb sucker but my friend's kid was and quit on her own by 4 - they say the more you try to get them to stop the worse it will be so we just don't talk about it - other than if she's talking with it in - I tell her I can't understand her then she takes it out. But at night - I wouldn't worry about it.

Lionessto3
by on May. 11, 2012 at 8:16 AM
She's my first thumb sucker I thought she was done when she stopped at 6 months I was surprise she started again at 2 lol im glade to see its normal now I won't worry I will let her have her fun
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hisservent
by on May. 11, 2012 at 9:23 AM

mine never sucked their fingers. They had pacis til 16/18 months and then I tossed them. I thought my daughter was going to start sucking her thumb but she never did. She'll be 2 next month. My son is 5 and didn't take to sucking anything either. 

I, however, sucked my thumb til I was 12. Once I started school I was too embarrassed to suck it in public, so I only did it at home while watching TV or sleeping. When I was 12, I decided I should quit because I was too old to be doing that lol. Plus, I hated my smile. I had a gap between my 2 front teeth that I could fit my tongue through. I never smiled with my mouth open until I was in high school. By the time I turned 17, it closed up all on it's own. 

Christian wife and mother  

in lovetoddler boy toddler girlpregnant belly

.Angelica.
by Angie on May. 11, 2012 at 9:45 AM

my ds wasn't a thumb sucker. here's a bump.

zolanmel
by on May. 11, 2012 at 12:02 PM

my dd is 3 and a thumb sucker.. I havent found anything to break her.

MommaGreenhalge
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2012 at 12:38 PM
My boys were both thumbsuckers. My four year old stopped when he was one, and my two year old hasn't stopped yet. I'm not worried about it. I sucked mine until 4 or 5 and have almost perfect teeth. Like PP, I don't let him try to talk while sucking his thumb, and I don't let him suck on his fingers or hand. We moved pretty recently, and he has a new baby sister, so I'm not going to take away his comfort behavior anytime soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on May. 11, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Give her a bedtime friend

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN