Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Umm, I don't think I can do it

Posted by on May. 13, 2012 at 2:52 PM
  • 11 Replies

Not sure if this is OT but here it goes....

DSS4's councellor wants me to schedule EVERY waking hour of his and my day...  I have no problem working in a more structured schedule but every hour is a little extreme and yeah I'm a SAHSM, but I'm also disabled and have dr. appointments and life happens too... I'm not a super hero, and I'm afraid that I won't be able to get housework and stuff done.  She wants me to schedule everything to be done together... I don't know what to do.  I'd find a different councellor but DSS loves her sooo much (neither DH nor myself care for the woman at all...)  We believe that he's at an age that he needs time to himself too

Any ideas to help me come up with something slightly more structured? We do have a loose schedule, and normal bedtime routines and mealtimes etc...

by on May. 13, 2012 at 2:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
camdenp10
by on May. 13, 2012 at 4:59 PM

I don't thinka  24/7 schedule would be good either. Maybe most of it but not all. He can play by himself some I would think. Set him up with toys or coloring book while you are washing dishes or cleaning the living room. Stick with the normal waking and bed times, meals, and a nap if he has one. You cannot possible schedule every waking moment bc things come up. I would just set it the best I could an be happy with that.

Tryshx
by on May. 13, 2012 at 7:40 PM
1 mom liked this

He has normal waking times, and meals and snacks are always at the same time (give or take like 30 minutes on some days) and bed time routine always starts at 6:30 and ends at 7:30 (he's an early riser so we put him in bed early), but that's not good enough for her she wants a written schedule by thursday that we've already started to impliment... Ugh this woman drives me nuts...

Quoting camdenp10:

I don't thinka  24/7 schedule would be good either. Maybe most of it but not all. He can play by himself some I would think. Set him up with toys or coloring book while you are washing dishes or cleaning the living room. Stick with the normal waking and bed times, meals, and a nap if he has one. You cannot possible schedule every waking moment bc things come up. I would just set it the best I could an be happy with that.

itsm3
by on May. 13, 2012 at 8:00 PM

why was this suggested?  what are the issues you're facing that warrants this?

visit me at my blog:  vodka and soda | www.lifeinprogress.ca

i'm charting my progress of the 30-day shred  |  journey to a healther me

Tryshx
by on May. 13, 2012 at 8:29 PM

She feels all children thrive best with strict schedules, I guess, she didn't say why specifically other than that.  He was acting out a while back so we found a councellor. 

Quoting itsm3:

itsm3
by on May. 13, 2012 at 9:12 PM

while i agree that kids thrive on a schedulue/routine, having to schedule something for every minute of the say seems a little hardcore and i'm a HUGE advocate of daily structure.  acting out is normal for kids however, if it's excessive, it could be something else; lax parenting, overtired, understimulated etc.  instilling a hardcore structure may not be the answer and could actually backfire.

my dd's schedule is very routine and it works for us.  she wakes around the same time every day and eats/has snacks at the same time every day.  i am very strict with behaviour and what is/isn't acceptable behaviour.  i discipline when required and always follow through.  i'm very strict with bedtime/bedtime rules.  dd has weekend activities (ballet, swimming) and we go out for walks or bike rides after preschool if the weather is nice.  our routine doesn't change unless it's a special event (ie. vacation or someone's wedding etc).  

i'm a stickler with schedules but having every second scheduled with something to do seems excessive even to me.  there has to be some days when you follow the same eat/sleep routine but relax on the activities.  

Quoting Tryshx:

She feels all children thrive best with strict schedules, I guess, she didn't say why specifically other than that.  He was acting out a while back so we found a councellor. 

Quoting itsm3:

visit me at my blog:  vodka and soda | www.lifeinprogress.ca

i'm charting my progress of the 30-day shred  |  journey to a healther me

babowes
by on May. 13, 2012 at 9:28 PM
1 mom liked this
try unscheduled blocks and scheduled blocks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tryshx
by on May. 13, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I'm pretty strict about what is and isn't tolerated, and discplining isn't an issue, even in public I'll find a corner or even make a corner for timeout.  He wakes up and goes to bed the same time, eats snacks and meals at the same time, and he has weekend activities too, he plays t-ball.  And we do read/color/flashcards/work on letters/do crafts/play board games, etc... His councellor always makes me feel like I'm the worst mom ever, and there are somethings she's suggested that I flat out told her no about (she thought our 4 minute time out was excessive... he's 4... she said just to send him to his room to play for a minute, one minute...)

Quoting itm3:

while i agree that kids thrive on a schedulue/routine, having to schedule something for every minute of the say seems a little hardcore and i'm a HUGE advocate of daily structure.  acting out is normal for kids however, if it's excessive, it could be something else; lax parenting, overtired, understimulated etc.  instilling a hardcore structure may not be the answer and could actually backfire.

my dd's schedule is very routine and it works for us.  she wakes around the same time every day and eats/has snacks at the same time every day.  i am very strict with behaviour and what is/isn't acceptable behaviour.  i discipline when required and always follow through.  i'm very strict with bedtime/bedtime rules.  dd has weekend activities (ballet, swimming) and we go out for walks or bike rides after preschool if the weather is nice.  our routine doesn't change unless it's a special event (ie. vacation or someone's wedding etc).  

i'm a stickler with schedules but having every second scheduled with something to do seems excessive even to me.  there has to be some days when you follow the same eat/sleep routine but relax on the activities.  

Quoting Tryshx:

Quoting itsm3:

suziq1982
by on May. 13, 2012 at 9:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I understand your son likes the counselor but if you and your hubby don't like her and aren't comfortable with her practices you can find another one they will build a new relationship with him.  You need something that works for all of you.

Tryshx
by on May. 13, 2012 at 9:47 PM

I might try that, though she said she was planning on helping me schedule if she didn't like the one I came up with alone.

Quoting babowes:

try unscheduled blocks and scheduled blocks

lilydoyle
by on May. 13, 2012 at 9:52 PM
I would try a loose schedule for him. See how he does. Some kids need a more struck schedule than others.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)