Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Blended preschool?

Posted by on May. 18, 2012 at 12:52 PM
  • 120 Replies
My daughter is 3 and the school district here offers a blended preschool for kids with disabilities as well as so-called "normal" kids. My daughter belongs to the latter group. Does anyone have experience with these blended classrooms and if they are beneficial for kids without special needs? What do you think?

Update--
Thanks for all of the replies! I just wanted to clarify a couple things for those who might have mis-understood my original post...
--My daughter is not a SN child. She's considered "typical."
--The classroom has one teacher and two additional staff. The students will consist of 5 SN kids and 12-15 typically developing peers.
--I LOVE the idea of teaching my daughter tolerance of ALL other kids, and I can't find any reason why it wouldn't be an awesome class. I was just curious if anyone had anything to add-good or bad-- that I might have overlooked.

Thanks for all the replies, and we registered her to begin classes in the fall this year!! (Now all I have to worry about is getting her completely potty-trained by then! Haha)
by on May. 18, 2012 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on May. 18, 2012 at 1:15 PM
7 moms liked this

I don't have any experience but my hunch is that it would be extremely benefical in teaching your child about the different people in the world.  My son recently encountered a 3 year old who was born without 1 of his hands and played with him fine but then when I picked him up he talked about it a lot.  He would ask if our next baby would be born with one hand.  We would see babies at the park and he would ask if they were born with one hand.  Thus far, he really hasn't encountered something like that and he was really procesing it.  I think being exposed to people with differences is wonderful for kids!

Beth (32) DH (37) Tyler (5) Bayley (2 1/2)

mypbandj
by Jen on May. 18, 2012 at 2:27 PM
4 moms liked this
That's how all the special Ed preschools are run - by law those kids have to be with typically developing peers (unless there is a danger of course). It's good for all the kids. My son was in one of those classrooms and unless a child had a obvious disability, like down syndrome or spina bifida, nobody knew which kids were role models and which kids weren't! Besides, kids with disabilities are going to be in regular classrooms throughout your child's school career anyway (if you do the pubic school route).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aregan88
by on May. 18, 2012 at 2:45 PM
5 moms liked this

I'm a Special Education teacher (Autistic Support) and I can tell you that learning how to interact with students with disabilities at a young age will be greatly beneficial to your daughter. I might be a little bias, but she will be blended with these students for the rest of her educational career and the sooner she learns the better. All of my students are included in the regular classroom and I have students come from other classes to help out in my room as well and it's absolutely incredible to see the things they can teach each other- tolerence, acceptance, differences to name a few. I'm actually looking for a blended preschool in my area to send my daughter too- it will be a great experience for her! If you're worried about them meeting her needs (which I don't blame you for) talk to them about what the program looks like exactly. Inclusion has become second nature to schools everywhere at every level, but ask them if you can come observe a day.

Tryshx
by on May. 19, 2012 at 9:21 AM

I agree with all the pp.  It's good for your daughter to know there are people in the world that are different, and for her to learn how to interact with them. My mom is special education teacher and my brother was in a classroom like you mentioned as a general ed student, and he excelled in that class.

rwblake2011
by on May. 19, 2012 at 9:25 AM
I agree with all pp. Shes goingto be exposed all her life starting now will help better treat kids with special needs appropriately in life.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nodramamama311
by on May. 19, 2012 at 9:26 AM
2 moms liked this
I think it's awesome and highly beneficial to all the children.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on May. 19, 2012 at 12:18 PM

I have no experience. Here is a bump.

YzmaRocks
by on May. 19, 2012 at 12:47 PM
My son is in a special ed preschool ( he's autistic) and one day a week they have a blended class. It really helps him interact with other, "normal" children.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wendsdy
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2012 at 1:03 PM
2 moms liked this

I think it benefits both sets of kids. The special needs kids feel "normal" and learn to relate to other kids. The "normal" kids learn tolerance and that these other kids are "normal" and can be their friends.  I think its a great thing.

arthistmom
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2012 at 1:29 PM

This, exactly.

Quoting Wendsdy:

I think it benefits both sets of kids. The special needs kids feel "normal" and learn to relate to other kids. The "normal" kids learn tolerance and that these other kids are "normal" and can be their friends.  I think its a great thing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)