Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers
My daughter is 3 and the school district here offers a blended preschool for kids with disabilities as well as so-called "normal" kids. My daughter belongs to the latter group. Does anyone have experience with these blended classrooms and if they are beneficial for kids without special needs? What do you think?

Update--
Thanks for all of the replies! I just wanted to clarify a couple things for those who might have mis-understood my original post...
--My daughter is not a SN child. She's considered "typical."
--The classroom has one teacher and two additional staff. The students will consist of 5 SN kids and 12-15 typically developing peers.
--I LOVE the idea of teaching my daughter tolerance of ALL other kids, and I can't find any reason why it wouldn't be an awesome class. I was just curious if anyone had anything to add-good or bad-- that I might have overlooked.

Thanks for all the replies, and we registered her to begin classes in the fall this year!! (Now all I have to worry about is getting her completely potty-trained by then! Haha)
by on May. 18, 2012 at 12:52 PM
Replies (21-30):
dollysvlog
by on May. 21, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Its good for the "normal" children to learn to interact with others with disabilities. when my (late)sister was in elementary they had the so called blended classroom. she got to meet a few really nice "normal" kids. but most were terrible (especially when the teacher wasnt looking) most of them that were mean, most were the little boys.

but my opinion yes it is always great for kids to meet all different races, genders, or with disabilities. but when it comes to school. for the fact there are really cruel kids, I think they should have some or all classes just for those with disabilities.

when my sister went to hs she was put in a class for those with disabilities. she was so much happier, and had a lot more in common with the other kids.... 

im not saying it is totally not beneficial but some children would benefit more then other. and some it wouldnt work for at all...

its past my bedtime. sorry if its making no sense

JP-StrongForTwo
by on May. 21, 2012 at 12:43 AM
1 mom liked this

i didnt realise some schools didnt do that in the first place....all the schools in this area are mixed special needs and NT alike. i dont know about the NT kids, but my daughter is special needs, and being in the mainstream class with the NT kids is absolutely a good thing. 

LucyHarper
by on May. 21, 2012 at 12:45 AM
Children with special needs on a school level should be in a class where they can learn best, where the class can fit to their needs, but at a preschool level, I wouldn't mind it if there were disabled children in the class, they deserve to be treated as normal children, not separated in another class if they will all be doing the same thing. Plus, its never too early to teach kids how to behave around people who are different then they are, how they can be just as nice and fun, even if they don't always act or look the same as other children.
raven1114
by on May. 21, 2012 at 1:04 AM
2 moms liked this

It depends on theseverity of the disability. If the child can with moderate help and accomadations keep up with the rest of the class then sure I'm all for a blended class. If however a student's disability is taking up the majority of the classroom time, where the teacher has little to no time to teach the rest of the class, or it would cause a disruption then no they don't need to be in a blended class.

My daughter is autistic and she also has a severe speech delay. Because of this she can not be in a standard classroom setting for most of her classes (PE is a blended class as is art) since it would cause to much disruption for her as well as the rest of the students.

BJDoubleTrouble
by on May. 21, 2012 at 1:06 AM

My boys are in a blended pre-k classroom. I have identical twins, and one has some sensory processing issues while the other does not. I think the experience has been awesome for both of them for different reasons, but mostly I think it normalizes disabilities for them at an early age so they don't even think of those kids as different. They are just other kids, who happen to look or act different then they do.

ReiReally
by on May. 21, 2012 at 1:12 AM

As long as all the children are getting the attention and education they need to learn and thrive, i don't see a problem with it.

GirlWithANikon
by Member on May. 21, 2012 at 1:18 AM

we were semi blended. The "special" kids went to our schools and their were special classes and then what classes they could take in lower "normal" levels "we called them applied classes, they did.

I do not like it now that I am an adult because those kids never got the proper help or education. As a kid I was like ok cool, we are all equal. As adult I realize we do not all learn equally and a special school with more help than our normal low funded public school could have provided may have really made a difference in some of those kids lives.

Also everyone made fun of them so bad it was not uncommon to hear a teacher or teachers aid or hall monitor to say, "can you take this to the 'sped' classroom on floor..." or "Well he is a 'sped' so , ya know.."

mamaslove4ever
by on May. 21, 2012 at 2:19 AM

my daughter ws going to a blended preschool and her best friend is a special needs child. my daughter is not. she did extreamily well in her class and she bennifited her friend and helped him out too. the teachers were very impressed with her. 

seamonkeymom415
by on May. 21, 2012 at 2:30 AM
I think its very beneficial but do go check out the classroom first. Many schools keep children who should have moved on to a more equiped program taking attention away from those who would most benefit.
2girlsMom.MN
by on May. 21, 2012 at 2:31 AM
1 mom liked this

My daughter was severely speech delayed. She got a IEP through our school district who in turn sent out  a speech teacher to our house and worked with my daughter for a year. At age3 the school district decided a natural preschool setting amongst her peers would be the most beneficial. So this past year my daughter's been going to preschool with normal kids who have no problems and their is a handful in this class who have speech issues. There is 1 teacher, 2 aides, and the speech pathologist. It's been amazing for my daughter who now really doesn't even need the help anymore. It was a positive for everyone. Having 4 adults in a class of 12-15 kids is awesome. 

Now if a child is disabled or handicapped to the point it interferes with other kids learning then they shouldn't be in the same class. 

I think it's great for kids to be a diverse environment as long as it's equalled out and nothing is being sacrificed to do so. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN