Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Toddler Bed

Posted by on May. 24, 2012 at 8:29 PM
  • 12 Replies

My daughter is 19 months old. The last few weeks she has been screaming at bedtime.  She keeps asking me to sit in her rocking chair.  This can go on for up to an hour.  She sleeps with her blankie and picks one toy, but again the last few weeks she just throws everything out.  I rocked her to sleep until she was 1 and then gently transitioned into her falling asleep by herself with me out of the room.  A friend of mine suggested putting her in a toddler bed, but I don't know if she's ready

by on May. 24, 2012 at 8:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2012 at 8:52 PM

I don't know why that would make a difference unless it's so you can lay down with her until she falls asleep.  However, I think keeping her able to fall asleep on her own is important.  My DD would go thru phases where she would scream when we would put her down.  This would last a week and then she'd be back to normal and then she'd go thru another week, etc.  Usually she only cried for like 10mins and then went to sleep.  Personally, I like my kids behind bars as long as possible and, thankfully, both made it until 2 1/2.  If you do decide to take her out of the crib, IMO toddler beds are a waste of money.  Invest in a bed that she can grow with and either put it on the floor or get a rail.

education_mom
by on May. 24, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Hm...19 mo seems a little young to be in a toddler bed. Have you tried a night light? My friend's kid did this and it turned out he was afraid of the dark. 

I also agree that toddler beds are a waste of money. We put a twin mattress on the floor. 

www.educationmom.com

facebook.com/educationmom

PEEK05
by on May. 24, 2012 at 10:34 PM

I wouldn't. Then you will be dealing with that issue plus the issue of her getting up and down.

AGHHHHMommy
by on May. 24, 2012 at 11:17 PM

I put my DD#1 in a twin bed at 15 months old and it was so difficult. instead of screaming she was up... I baby gated her in her room but she would scream at the gate.. Eventually she ended up sleeping with us which started a very bad habit that took years to break...  With DS we left him in his crib until he was 3. When he would scream I let him it only took a night or 2 until he realized i wasnt gonna let him out. then he would be fine..  We have done the same thing with DD#2...  I leave them in as long as possible and when they learn to climb out, I buy crib tents...LOL...

Abee2202
by on May. 25, 2012 at 12:02 AM
Only you know if your toddler is ready for a real bed. When my daughter was about 12mo or so she would scream to go in her pack and play (we used it as a crib) It was rough. Three days after she was 15mo we bought a low to the ground twin bed (from Ikea) and she stopped screaming and went to bed faster and earlier. My guess is that the pack and play mattress was very uncomfortable for her. In our case however, we had no issues with her getting in and out of bed or trying to leave her room. We kept her room safe, had a bright wall light, had a stereo playing music that was relaxing and she would fool around for up to an hour and put herself to bed and to sleep.
Toddler beds IMO are a waste. We bought her twin bed for cheaper then a toddler bed and she will be able to use the twin for as long as she lives with us (18yr?...lol)
Being a new mom I was really shocked at how she handled being in a toddler bed at such a young age. I had expected her to stay in a crib until she was three. Sometimes kids have unique ways of telling us when they are ready for new challenges.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wendsdy
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2012 at 1:48 AM

We went from a crib to a twin bed. My friend said the toddler bed was a huge waste of money. We just put our son in a twin bed with a bed rail and he has done great.  He is 2. I actually tried to get him in the bed at probably 19 months or so but he said no. He wasn't ready so he stayed in his crib and the bed was just in his room. Now he has been in the twin bed for about 2 weeks now. As long as she is big enough to get off a twin bed on her own, she should be ready.....just make sure you get a bed rail :)

bhwrn1
by Brooke on May. 25, 2012 at 5:55 AM

I think that if kids are not climbing out of their cribs, then they don't need to be out of them yet (unless they reach the height and weight max of the piece of furniture).

Dereksmom1018
by on May. 25, 2012 at 5:59 AM

my son started giving me a terrible time at bedtime. I didn't know what to do. My husband suggested a routine which included reading to him.  Ever since we do this he goes to bed without a problem.  He gets 1:1 time with me and this makes him feel secure. I tuck him in with blankie and bear and he says his prayers. He is 3 1/2

.Angelica.
by Angie on May. 25, 2012 at 11:58 AM

bump

jazzylady88
by on May. 25, 2012 at 12:07 PM

we got my son a toddler bed early because he hated being restrained in his crib.  We werent sure how he would react to it. But he loved it,he thought it was the coolest thing! He spent the whole day coming in and out of the bed..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)