Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Seperation Anxiety?

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 1:10 PM
  • 3 Replies
This is about the same 4 yo from my other post :)

Lately he has been really attached to my hip. If I am sitting he is right next to me. If I am cleaning, he is either helping or will sit in the same room with me. When I go to the bathroom, he will lay on my bed and wait for me. He follows me all over the house. He does not want to go to church or school lately because he wants to stay with me. My husband tries to help me out but he will still come to me.
I know it can be normal to an extent but to this extent?
He used to spend every other Saturday night at my mom's and he won't stay anymore.

The biggest problem here is that I am 8 mos pregnant with a history of preterm labor so I am looking at a short stay in the hospital anytime now. I have tried to prepare him but he freaks out if I even leave him home with dh while I take a quick trip to the corner market. I am afraid it will traumatize him when I have to go to the hospital.
He is excited about the baby. He calls her our baby and when he is talking avout the family always includes her. He has been very involved this pregnancy amd has helped pick out stuff for her. He already adores her though I wonder how long it will last once she is here. Lol.

What can I do?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 1:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
PEEK05
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 3:11 PM

He senses the big change.  I would take this time right now to enjoy him before that new baby comes.

sophiesmom07
by Ruby Member on Jun. 3, 2012 at 4:01 PM

I agree, he senses the change. Just keep reinforcing how much you love him and how much fun it will be when the baby arrives.  Maybe think of a special project he can do for the baby's arrival (with dad's help.)  This will keep him busy and give him an important  "job" to focus on while you're in the hospital.    Be prepared for a rough fiurst few months while he adjusts to the new baby. His behavior may change, but it will pass I promise. Good luck! 

Elayna90
by Member on Jun. 3, 2012 at 4:11 PM
I am sure he senses it. Verbally, he is excited about it but I wonder if he has any nervousness...
I am enjoying this time with him. He is just getting out of the temper tantrum phase and into the helpful all the time and good mood phase. So I am taking advantage and enjoying it before he moves on the the next not so nice phase. Lol.
He has been helping with baby stuff. He asks to help and we let him.
I am just nervous about he will handle me being gone when he gets upset even after short periods. I know others do it and have done it. Just never have :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)