Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

help. potty training stinks!!

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 10:09 AM
  • 124 Replies
2 moms liked this

My toddler is 2 and half. I cannot get her to like going potty on the potty like a big girl..
I have stuck panties on her and let her pee and poop herself , it seriously doesn't phase her. I have Given potty candy when she does go which is almost never. But lately she will tell me I dont want to sit  on the potty, and cry when i make her. Also she never tells me when she has to go, but she will tell me she needs her pull up changed. I work at a learning center in the Two's room and most of the kids at my work are not potty trained till they are three. Is she just not ready? I know, she knows thats where she is supposed to go to the bathroom. Please help, advice?

-:- Brittnee

by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 10:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cmorris1200
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Don't push and just put her on for diaper changes.  Start changing diaper in the bathroom makes this easier.   That way she gets use to it without committing when she is ready she will let you know.

brittyp08
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Thats what I have been trying to do, so thats very helpful. Good to know that she'll just let me know eventually also.

mypbandj
by Jen on Jun. 17, 2012 at 10:51 AM
9 moms liked this
She's just not ready. Just leave it alone and try again in a month.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't force it to where she is crying. I'd be afraid to use the potty too.

brittyp08
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 12:15 PM
That's why I haven't forced honestly. Don't want to become a badthing. No whoopins over it either. Other ppl told me to do that but i rarely have to whoop ever so. Shes a great kid this potty thing is only prob
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Jun. 17, 2012 at 1:51 PM
3 moms liked this

Yeah, kids have to be physically and emotionaly ready to potty train. So even if intellectually, she KNOWS what she is supposed to do, that doesn't mean she is going to. Going to the bathroom is something kids have COMPLETE control over. There is nothing we can do to MAKE them do it. And toddlers are known for wanting to have control over things - well, we ALL like to have control - but when toddlers realize that we are trying to control everything in their lives, they will start to take control over going to potty (by not going the way we want them to) just to gain control. Its just best if you follow her lead and pretend as if its no big deal to you. 

Quoting brittyp08:

That's why I haven't forced honestly. Don't want to become a badthing. No whoopins over it either. Other ppl told me to do that but i rarely have to whoop ever so. Shes a great kid this potty thing is only prob

rockinmomto2
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 2:49 PM
2 moms liked this

I have a 2 1/2 year old, and I don't plan on potty training her for another 6 months at least. I'd take a break and revisit it in the future when she's really ready, not when you're ready for her to be potty trained.

Sunshine257
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 2:51 PM
2 moms liked this

She doesn't sound ready..

2girlsMom.MN
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this

She's not ready. Quit caring and she'll do it when she wants not when you want. 

My oldest did the whole power struggle with me because I wanted her trained, she was the hardest. 

My youngest decided to potty train herself a few months after her 2nd bday. In that case I just didn't care. Was very nonchalant about it. 

jessi2girls
by Member on Jun. 17, 2012 at 3:06 PM
2 moms liked this

I did the 3 day potty training and it worked on my daughter..but it's 3 days of dedication from your end..

set up the potty chair in the livingroom, pick out a lot of movies, books, coloring books and activites she can do while sitting.. set her on the potty until she goes.. let her play for about a half hour, then set her back on the potty. The next time she goes, let her play for 40 mins (and keep adding 10 from there until you get to an hour.. )..

"play time" is also when you'll do meal times..pull ups to bed.

the next day you start off sitting her on it again.. when she goes give her an hour.. and again add 10 minutes after each time until you hit an hour and a half.. then  let to be free to go as needed (it's best to just let her go bottom less for all of this during the day)..

pull up to bed..

the third day you let her go half the day bottomless to go ass needed, if she's succeeded thus far, then you add panties and continue to let her go as needed..

by the end of the third day she should be potty trained during the day and you can slowly move into training at night.

be sure to be happy when she goes, make it fun, like a game, still give a reward...

if the process doesn't work, she's likely not ready yet.. and give it a few more months before trying again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN