Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Mom Leaves Toddler in 110-Degree Car While She Shops. Do you ever leave your small children in the car alone?

Posted by   + Show Post

Mom Leaves Toddler in 110-Degree Car While She Shops (VIDEO)

Posted by Julie Ryan Evans

sunCommon sense -- and laws in some places -- tell us that small children shouldn't be left in cars alone. Ever. Not just this once, or just for "a sec" It only takes a few minutes for things to go terribly wrong, and a recent close call in Orem, Utah, illustrates one of the reasons why.

Last week, Gail Belliston was walking out of a store when she heard a child screaming from a car. According to the Deseret News, the child was terrified and sweating profusely, so after a few minutes of seeing no one coming for the kid, Belliston pulled her out. Thank goodness she did too, because testing showed the temperature in the car had reached 110 degrees.

Police were called, but the mom didn't show up until 20 minutes after they arrived.  

The woman said she'd just gone inside to use the restroom and  that her daughter was sleeping so she didn't want to wake her up. But police say the girl was left alone at least 25 minutes, so it's pretty easy to deduce that she did some shopping or something else too.

Regardless of what she was doing, there's no excuse for what she did. It was reportedly around 88 degrees outside, but temperatures rise rapidly inside a closed car. If Belliston hadn't intervened, who knows how long the little girl would have survived.

Even more concerning is that the mother was only issued a ticket for a misdemeanor, but the girl was sent home with her.

Fortunately, this story had a somewhat happy ending, despite the fear I have for this girl being in the custody of someone who would be so reckless with her safety. But there are plenty of other instances in which there isn't a heroic stranger passing by to save a child.

Already this year, four children have died from hyperthermia after being left in a car in the United States, according to Jan Null, with San Francisco State University's Department of Geosciences. In 2011, 33 children died as a result of it.

So while leaving a child in a car alone is never a good idea, it's especially important to remember as temperatures climb higher. It's dangerous, potentially deadly, and nothing is worth the risk.

Watch the news video here.

Do you ever leave your small children in the car alone?

by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 10:54 AM
Replies (11-20):
usmcwife.mommy2
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:20 PM
I left my DD and DS in the car while I grabbed the diaper bag that I forgot in the house. But the ac was on and I was home not even a minute.

I would do what the lady did at all! I don't even like leaving my puppy in the car...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
arthistmom
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:22 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't ever leave my children, neither small nor big, alone in the car.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashleywagoner
by Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:25 PM
I have NEVER left my child in the car and NEVER will! Parents who do are NEGLIGENT, STUPID, & LAZY!!!!!!! I Love my son too much. Nothing will ever come before taking care of my children, EVER!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashleywagoner
by Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:26 PM
Well that's not the same

Quoting usmcwife.mommy2:

I left my DD and DS in the car while I grabbed the diaper bag that I forgot in the house. But the ac was on and I was home not even a minute.

I would do what the lady did at all! I don't even like leaving my puppy in the car...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
megs424420
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:30 PM
I only leave the kids in the car (oldest is 12) for a minute. And the car running and locked. I live in desert and it gets to 110 outside! So in a closed car easily gets to 130 in minutes. Children die every year because of this. Tragic. Luckily that story had a better ending...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lbwsmom
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:38 PM
No way!!!! Some people!!!!!!
usmcwife.mommy2
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:45 PM
Oh I know. Still feel bad tho.

Quoting ashleywagoner:

Well that's not the same

Quoting usmcwife.mommy2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:47 PM

I have while I walked back in to the house with the windows down, no keys in the car when I forgot something. Was gone maybe a minute. I could never leave them longer than that till they are older.

TTC2Long
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:49 PM
NO. Even if I have to run back in the house for something I forgot. It takes a SECOND for someone to run up and steal your car, especially if you left the keys in and engine on for the air or heat! I can't believe they let the girl go home with her. *smh*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MandiK
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:50 PM

OMG, 25 minutes!? I admit I have run inside to get my purse as we're headed out to the store. I've strapped my kids in, realized I forgot my bag and gone to get it. But it's right inside my garge door so there are literally maybe two second that I can't see my kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)