Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

My 3 yr old refuses to wear big boy underwear. :/

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 11:14 AM
  • 12 Replies

My son just turned 3. I brought him big boy underwear about 2 weeks ago. I would say he's 60% potty trained. I let him walk around the house naked from the waist down and he goes in the potty every time he has to go. That part isnt a probelm at all.  He has been wearing pullups when we go out, or goes to preschool. I'm ready to switch him from pullup to underwear, but he doesn't seem to be at all. :/ He FREAKS when I put them on him. He cries, throws himself on the floor, pulls them off with seconds of me fighting  to get them on. He begs for pullups.  I tried to let him pick some out at walmart, but he started crying saying,"he cant wear them." I'm not really sure what to do, or how to handle this. I dont really was to force him to wear them, but it seems that will be the only way. I would love some tips or advice on how to go about this. To get him comfortable wearing them. Thank you ladies!!!

by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 11:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lmb3
by New Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 12:36 PM

try boxers my 3 yearold hates underwear but loves his boxers

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 12:43 PM

i agree with lmb3.  i wouldn't battle over it but if you are really wanting to potty train, you need to lose the pull-ups.  try boxers or boxer-briefs and see if they make a difference. 

our3
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:03 PM

I would STOP buying the pull ups and stop giving him the choice. Then when he throws a fit I would swat him on his bare butt and tell him to nock it off.  I would then hand him back the underwear and make him put them on.  I'm sorry if this seems harsh but thats what works for me. I dont let the fits occur and if they do their are consiquences. I am mom and my way goes. Know what I mean.

Kris_PBG
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:15 PM
I would talk to him and try to get him to tell you WHY he doesn't want them. If you understood the reasons behind the behavior. It may also help you figure out how to address his concerns or what he objects to.

We never did pull ups - we went straight to underwear. I can't say I would continue to buy the pull ups...
KelliansMom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this

the book called Bear in Underwear help my son want to wear underwear :)

bekalynne440
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:23 PM
Get rid of all of the pull ups so they aren't an option. Have him pick out his own underwear, and maybe try different kinds. My son prefers boxer briefs. Some boys prefer boxers. If daddy lives with you, buy daddy a pair of camo underwear and get your son a pair just like it (I say camo because its an easy pattern for kids to distinguish and they have both toddler and men's underwear in camo). Then make a big deal that his underwear are just like daddy's. That's the thing that helped my son the most.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashleywagoner
by Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Quoting MamaWolf01:

I wouldn't battle the kid, and just let him do it when he feels comfy.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsLLove
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:28 PM

I wouldn't spank him or punish him over it. That'll just make him not like them even more.  I agree with trying a different style and even getting matching "Daddy underwear". I also agree with not giving him the option of pull-ups. We currently only use them with DS (3yrs) at nap and bedtime. GL!

zolanmel
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:31 PM
Try boxers . They could be his safety blanket.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HopefulTaurus
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:49 PM

I would honestly suggest trying to dress him "commando" style at home, instead of having him bare, so that he sees how it feels to not be in undies, and hopefully he doesn't like it and wants to wear something, then be sure there are no pull-ups around and let him know that undies are the only option.  The worst thing that comes of this scenario is that your kid is one of a percentage of kids that goes from diapers to "hanging free".  As long as he keeps it in his pants than no biggy, he just needs to then learn how to be careful with zippers and make sure that he always zips up. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)