Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Dd and the potty

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:34 AM
  • 13 Replies
Dd is going to be 3 next month. She wants no part of the potty. I have tried and she gets upset even sitting on it. We have had no successes. I seriously think if she could go just one time it would click. Her older sister had a few successes from 18 months to 3 years. At 3 years old dd1 decided to use the potty and that was it. 2-3 days of accidents and she was potty trained. Day and night. Dd2 is proving difficult. If I could just get her to go once I think she would be like her sister. Help! Ideas?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blg5484
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:38 AM
find the thing on pinterest how to potty train in 1 day. my dd isnt ready but it looked cool just you and LO all day lots of junk food a peepee baby doll and patience it tells you step by step
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Sorry, I'm not sure.  My daughter always enjoyed sitting on the potty, even when we weren't potty training.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 11:09 AM

My DD was the same way.  I was just waiting for that 1 drop so I could go nuts and she would make the connection.  It took 4 straight days in underwear for that first drop and then we were off and running.  She's the same age as your DD and trained a couple months ago.  The only difference is that my DD wasn't resisting.  If she's upset, you need to back off a little.  She's not your DD1 and will train in her own time.  Creating a power struggle is just prolonging the process as well as making it terrible for everyone.  Let her lead the way and if she doesn't train until 3 1/2 or later, so be it.  That's what HER timeline was.  I know it's hard to be patient but she has 100% control anyway so just let her have it.  I bet she'll surprise you once you take a few steps back... 

bec94
by Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 11:12 AM
I haven't been pushing it. It's just that she needs to try. She wants to go to preschool ( she really does. She cried when her sister went to school and lived it when we visited her class), and she need to somewhat use the potty because they don't change diapers.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

My DD was the same way.  I was just waiting for that 1 drop so I could go nuts and she would make the connection.  It took 4 straight days in underwear for that first drop and then we were off and running.  She's the same age as your DD and trained a couple months ago.  The only difference is that my DD wasn't resisting.  If she's upset, you need to back off a little.  She's not your DD1 and will train in her own time.  Creating a power struggle is just prolonging the process as well as making it terrible for everyone.  Let her lead the way and if she doesn't train until 3 1/2 or later, so be it.  That's what HER timeline was.  I know it's hard to be patient but she has 100% control anyway so just let her have it.  I bet she'll surprise you once you take a few steps back... 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 11:31 AM

She may interpret as you pushing because she's upset when she sits there.  I'm assuming she's not walking herself in there and then getting upset over it.  I'm not saying you are like a drill sargent, I'm just pointing out that whatever is currently occurring doesn't seem to be working.  When a child is truly ready to train (like you saw with your first DD) it is a quick and painless process.  Even if you just leave it alone for a month there is still plenty of time between now and Sept. 

bec94
by Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 11:38 AM
True, but that only happened once. I've been very sporadic on trying , letting her sit if she wants too ( she'll ask to sit before bath time because it's when her sister goes) I've ran water, acted silly, promised to make a cake. the one time I tried to do it first thing in the am was when she threw the fit. I know her, she's smart. One success is all I need lol!

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

She may interpret as you pushing because she's upset when she sits there.  I'm assuming she's not walking herself in there and then getting upset over it.  I'm not saying you are like a drill sargent, I'm just pointing out that whatever is currently occurring doesn't seem to be working.  When a child is truly ready to train (like you saw with your first DD) it is a quick and painless process.  Even if you just leave it alone for a month there is still plenty of time between now and Sept. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by Angie on Jun. 26, 2012 at 12:17 PM

my son didn't like the toilet right away but had no problem with a little potty chair.

mariesmama
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 12:50 PM

my 2 yr old loves the  abby cadabby uses the potty book because she pushes a button and it makes noise

bec94
by Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 12:52 PM
We have the Elmo one. Doesn't work for her. She's my strong willed child :-)

Quoting mariesmama:

my 2 yr old loves the  abby cadabby uses the potty book because she pushes a button and it makes noise

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bec94
by Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 12:53 PM
I've tried with both. It just doesn't 'come down' she says.

Quoting .Angelica.:

my son didn't like the toilet right away but had no problem with a little potty chair.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)