Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Am i bad mom? I think dd is developmentallybehind for her age!

Posted by   + Show Post
Dd will be 3 in august. She CAN count to ten. But she doesnt know colors she cant identify anything. Im concerned.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 1:46 PM
Replies (11-19):
mrsC0113y
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 7:29 PM
I agree, you are not a bad mom. Children develop at different speeds. Since you are concerned, ask your pediatrician. My co-worker was concerned about her son because he was not speaking much for a child about to turn 3. Several weeks later he was diagnosed with Autism. She now has him in weekly therapy.

I am not trying to alarm you just wanted to present an example.
mariesmama
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 7:38 PM

my daughter is that age 3 in august shes speech delayed and may have other delays my toddler can identify some colors, some numbers and no abc s  she just busted out with her first sentence a few weeks ago

mariesmama
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 7:39 PM

if she can pretend its probably not autism

TruthSeeker.
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 7:40 PM

I would have her evaluated for developmental pre-school.

Mistygirl
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 8:01 PM

at the age of three this is preschool age, the fact that she can count to 10 right now is tremendous. During preschool they start to learn colors but are only required to know like five by the end of the school year. You are so not a bad mom. Every child learns at their own pace. Identification of numbers, colors, shapes and letter are hard at this age, just keep working with her on some flash cards maybe or there are some really cool kid learning books you can find at the local book store. Good luck. It is a mothers nature to worry about her child. This makes you a good mother.

Bieg9093
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 8:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Hold the phone...she's not yet three, right?  What's your rush?

Being able to name colors, shapes & letters is not a huge deal at her age.  Yes, other kids the same age may be able to but it doesn't mean there's a problem if she's not doing it yet.  Have fun playing with her and let the teaching happen naturally. 

Want her to learn her colors?  Give her a bunch of different colored little toys and a bunch of different colored paper plates and let her play.  Talk with her about what she's doing.  Narrate a bit. 

I love how you put all the blue toys on the blue plate. 

Where should this toy go?  OH!  The red toy goes on the red plate.  I should have known.  

Could you please pass me another green toy like this one?

Expect that she'll probably learn to match colors before she can point to them or name them.  Gotta think in baby steps, okay?

mommy06and09
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 9:58 PM
Thanks ladies. I just keep reading about how other kids are doing this and that and i worry that she isnt. Thanks again!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Just keep working with her since she is already in speech therapy

erikadi
by Member on Jul. 1, 2012 at 1:21 AM

If you concerned then you should get extra help that way by kindergarten she will be all caught up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN