Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Advice Needed: My soon to be four year old son doesnt event...

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 12:20 AM
  • 12 Replies

My soon to be four year old son doesnt event want to potty train. How do I get him interested? I didnt have that problem with oldest son. All I had to do is use stickers with him. With my youngest son stickers doesnt work.

by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 12:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aidyns_mommy
by Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 12:22 AM
I would start by talking to his pedi.

Make it fun & exciting. Different rewards than stickers maybe.

Don't worry too much. He won't be walking in graduation with a diaper, it will happen!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
missingsavannah
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 12:23 AM

I hope so. He does love food and I have thought about bribing him with hershy kisses.

ccjennings
by Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 12:25 AM
thats they way my boys r... you can try a toy so many time he pottys he can get a dollar toy or candy worked for my second so then slowely start going longer between rewards and eventually stop it... i also kept telling him if he wants to go to school like brother he needs to go in the potty and that helped also... good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
missingsavannah
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 12:27 AM

I will start trying that tomorrow. Pray for me getting it to work.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 12:32 AM

find his "currency" for sure.  candy, money, little toys, verbal praise, whatever.  all kids have one, you just have to find the right one and then bribe, bribe, bribe!!!!  good luck :)

whatmynameagain
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 8:58 AM
Mine started at 2the then lost interest off and on. We didn't push but encouraged and rewarded when he did go and made a huge deal out of what a big boy he was. We asked if he wanted to go and didn't push if he said no. What really worked with him was we got rid of pull ips during day and offered pants or underwater(at home)he wanted to keep dry like a big kid so he started using the potty. He's 5your and finally does owe and poo in the potty. It seemed to take forever but some kids are just later bloomers. There's no magic age where they are ready, it depends on the child. My dd is 2 and hates wet diapers so she's sitting on the big potty already on her own. Bribing does help too once they go;) mine loved a few reeces pieces as a special reward and s sticker chart as long as its s treat or trip to park something they want it seems to help. I wouldn't worry because as someone posted above he wont be in high school with a diaper:) Stay patient- it will happen when he's ready!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Jun. 30, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Does he have any other "issues?"

I would tell him ahead of time, starting on Monday, we are throwing away (or giving away) all your diapers. And then you are going to start using the toilet! (be happy, upbeat, encouraging and supportive). You also may want to keep pull ups for nighttime b/c if he is still wetting at night, you don't want a mess - plus you can't night train a child. It just has to happen.

Get all your laundry ready. You are going to need a bunch of underwear and pants/shorts. Put everything in an easy to reach place and then get a hamper ready to collect all the messy clothes.

Tell him that if he pees or poops in his pants he will have to get it cleaned up. (not as a punishment...just as a natural consequence). Then, when he does have an accident, direct him to the bathroom where he can take off his wet/poop clothes, put them in a hamper (you may want to line it w/ a garbage bag for now) and then he can clean himself off in the tub. Make sure he does as much of this work by himself as possible. You're just there to supervise. You aren't there to make any commentary - no bribes, threats, put downs, insulsts, anger - NOTHING from you but pure calm and collectedness. You are neutral.

Kids have all the control here and when you start doing the above mentioned things (getting mad and such) you are just fueling their desire to gain control and therefore they won't potty train.

JudesAwsomeMom
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

find his "currency" for sure.  candy, money, little toys, verbal praise, whatever.  all kids have one, you just have to find the right one and then bribe, bribe, bribe!!!!  good luck :)

PEEK05
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 5:54 PM

I'm not sure. My 2 year old loved trying to go potty so we just went with that.  Good luck.

Cutie3.14Katie
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Just be patient. :) No child is going to go to kindergarden in diapers. Pushing potty training can cause more setbacks than letting it happen naturally. Not to mention psychological damage. Just ask if he wants to use the potty, he says no...leave it. He says yes, guide him to the potty but dont make a HUGE deal out if it.He needs to feel it is normal and should not feel ashamed. Children who are forced to potty train often develop psychological and emotional issues. So be careful and dont worry. 

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)