Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

take the kids or leave the kids???

Posted by   + Show Post
My DH was invitted to a conference in Guatemala in March next year. At that time my DD will be 4 and my DS will be 15 mos (prob still nursing).

My sis told me NOT to take the kids with me since it's an underdeveloped country and crime is high. I did go to the US Travel Guide page and there are many warnings and tips for safe travel. The crime rates against foreigners is fairly low, but kidnappings have occurred, none of small children since known child kidnappers are typically hunted down and lynched by the citizens (yikes).

We are going alone, but we will be hosted by a family and will only be going to the conference and back.

I originally wanted to take my kids with me, but now I have my doubts. If I left them, I would leave them with my mother and sister.

So...should they stay or should they go??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 10:36 PM
Replies (31-35):
Gweneveer
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 6:49 PM

I agree!

Quoting lauraschatz:

Leave them. You will know they are safe @ home and you will get to enjoy the time with your DH!

Abee2202
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 7:00 PM
We take our daughter everywhere. So I say go for it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamaeagle216
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 7:54 PM
How long is the conference and how long would you have to be away? What kind of conference is it? What's the line of work?

Quoting LadyBugMom09:

It's a conference that will help us as we both will be transitioning into a different line of work in a few years. It's a great opportunity for both of us and I wanted to share it with my kids since our decision will change their lives as well.

Quoting mamaeagle216:

How long is the conference?

I don't think I would be able to leave my children just to go there. Especially if I wasn't needed there. My husband went to a Microsoft conference in Anehiem, 2300 miles away and was gone for five days. I stayed home with our children.

I think you should stay home and take care of your kids and let him go do his job.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LadyBugMom09
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 9:19 PM
The conference is about 3 days. Including travel time we'd probably be gone 4 or 5 days total.

Quoting mamaeagle216:

How long is the conference and how long would you have to be away? What kind of conference is it? What's the line of work?

Quoting LadyBugMom09:

It's a conference that will help us as we both will be transitioning into a different line of work in a few years. It's a great opportunity for both of us and I wanted to share it with my kids since our decision will change their lives as well.

Quoting mamaeagle216:

How long is the conference?

I don't think I would be able to leave my children just to go there. Especially if I wasn't needed there. My husband went to a Microsoft conference in Anehiem, 2300 miles away and was gone for five days. I stayed home with our children.

I think you should stay home and take care of your kids and let him go do his job.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mhoelzer2988
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 8:34 AM

I'd leave them. Think about what's best and safer for them. I know you may not want to leave them. It's usually harder for a mom to leave her kids than dad. At least that's how it is for me and my husband. We're actually going 4 1/2 hours away this weekend for our anniversary and i'm having a hard time leaving them behind. I worry about all kinds of things happening even though they're going to be with my MIL and I trust her for the most part. It's just natural for moms to worry about their kids. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)