Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

2 y/o DS first GI appt...updates!

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 7:14 AM
  • 43 Replies
He is going to see a gastrointerologist on the 10th for chronic constipation on the 10th. he has always been constipated since he was born. he can go 3 weeks without going and ill end up having to take him to the dr to get him to go. he was on miralax and did absolutely nothing and so pedi put him on magnesium citrate everyday until he goes to GI dr. even with it he goes every other day. ive increased fruit and juice as well as fiber.. (he is already on a high fiber diet) so what should i expect going in? im nervous about taking him because im worried its more than chronic constipation.

plus he does better if i talk to him about his dr appts because he doesnt like drs @ all. he knows he is going to a tummy dr but thats as far as it goes. he does not do well with the pedi when we have to do a supository and an enema so im at a loss as to how to tell him what is going to happen because im not entirely sure myself.

Help?!?!

***UPDATE***
so we just left the dr and im a little less tha pleased with this first visit. of course like many of you said i would have to convince them that he is not with holding. of course we have to do it their way first so we are doing an initial clean out and then maintenance which consists of miralax. which by the way he was on before and it did absolutely nothing for him. so im more frustrated and frazzled than before

he scheduled a follow up for 6 weeks but i give it a week 2 max before i have to take him back for the testing that they dont want to do!
*update 2*
so children's health care called me yesterday and said the gi dr wanted a barium enema after the intial colon clean out . i feel more relieved now knowing they are going to actually do something. not so much for the actual procedure...so new question...how do i prepare him for this one?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 7:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hwifeandmom
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 4:56 PM

They're not likely to run any significant tests at your first visit.  It's likely that they'll do a rectal exam.  They may possibly do blood work or an x-ray. Any other tests would probably require a scheduled visit, but I couldn't say that for sure (my daughter's GI tests all required scheudled visits).  

It may also depend on the GI doc and how well they listen to you.  You'll want to be very clear that this is not deliberate stool withholding but an inability to have a BM.  This is a prime age for stool withholding, so the doc may first suspect stool withholding.  

My 17yr daughter has had chronic constipation her whole life.  The docs did a lot of testing when she was 9yrs (when I could finally convince the doctors to listen to us about the severity of the problem and that this was not stool withholding).  For a long time they were unable to determine a cause.  Prior to diagnosis and after diagnosis, the treatment has been the same -- lots of stool softening laxatives.  At one point she was on six laxatives a day and still not having sufficient bowel movements.  We switched laxatives and are having better success.  Ultimately testing revealed slow bowel motility and some misfiring neurological signals that fail tell her bowels when to contract to eliminate stool.  There's nothing the docs can do for it, so she'll just be on stool softening laxatives her whole life.

Over the years, I pressed the doctors to find the cause of the problem because I wanted to see if we could do something more than just providing lots of laxatives.  For her problem, there's nothing else the docs can do, but if the problem were due to other causes, there may or may not have been other solutions.

Good luck.  It's hard to see our babies so miserable.

PEEK05
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 5:29 PM

They are just going to do a consultation and order some tests they think would be beneficial.

2_amazing_boys
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 10:06 PM
My whole reason for going is that even with laaxatives he doesnt go like he should. We do magnesium citrate every day and im lucky if he goes 2 times a week. he isnt holding it he just cant go. he tries so hard too. we do "potty time" every night and he sits there and cries because he cant go. i have been dealing with constipation issues since he was 3 days old. I had to use glycerin suppositories at 3 days old because he was sick from it. his pediatrician wouldnt even refer him until we had exhausted all of our options and he pretty much didnt have any other choice.

i will not give up until they do something. it is not healthy for him to not go for 3 weeks. now when he goes even on the magnesium citrate it is just little balls. i hate having to watch him go thru this. In order for him to go @ the pedi office when he finally refered me it took an adult suppository and an adult enema before he would go and it still wasnt completely sufficient for the doctor but he let us go home. (thankfully!) im sorry but that is a bit extreme if it was just with holding. which i dealt with with ds6 and eventually after a few days and some apple juice he would go. not DS2. I wish it was that easy.

you eased my mind some and thanks so much for it. i just hope that we figure out what it is because he doesnt eat for days because he is scared his belly will hurt...even when i offer his favorite foods. and when he finally does go he cries the whole time.

just thanks so much!

Quoting hwifeandmom:

They're not likely to run any significant tests at your first visit.  It's likely that they'll do a rectal exam.  They may possibly do blood work or an x-ray. Any other tests would probably require a scheduled visit, but I couldn't say that for sure (my daughter's GI tests all required scheudled visits).  

It may also depend on the GI doc and how well they listen to you.  You'll want to be very clear that this is not deliberate stool withholding but an inability to have a BM.  This is a prime age for stool withholding, so the doc may first suspect stool withholding.  

My 17yr daughter has had chronic constipation her whole life.  The docs did a lot of testing when she was 9yrs (when I could finally convince the doctors to listen to us about the severity of the problem and that this was not stool withholding).  For a long time they were unable to determine a cause.  Prior to diagnosis and after diagnosis, the treatment has been the same -- lots of stool softening laxatives.  At one point she was on six laxatives a day and still not having sufficient bowel movements.  We switched laxatives and are having better success.  Ultimately testing revealed slow bowel motility and some misfiring neurological signals that fail tell her bowels when to contract to eliminate stool.  There's nothing the docs can do for it, so she'll just be on stool softening laxatives her whole life.

Over the years, I pressed the doctors to find the cause of the problem because I wanted to see if we could do something more than just providing lots of laxatives.  For her problem, there's nothing else the docs can do, but if the problem were due to other causes, there may or may not have been other solutions.

Good luck.  It's hard to see our babies so miserable.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mipsy
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 10:33 PM
I second everything hwife said. My son has stool issues too and has since birth as well. It took him 5 days to pass his meconium at birth. My guess is they will at least order an xray. They can see how full of stool he is and where. Then I'm guessing they may have you guys start on miralax and see how that goes and then add a stimulant like senna and see how he does on the combination of that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mbpeaceful12
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:02 PM

My three-year-old is in the same situation. She does not have a bowel movement often. I thought she inherited from my husband (he could go every seven to twelve days and be fine).

Please keep us posted!

2_amazing_boys
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 11:21 AM
He was on miralax when he got backed up for 3 weeks. the pedi put him on the magnesium citrate after doing xrays. i just want aanswers and i really appreciate all the info!

Quoting Mipsy:

I second everything hwife said. My son has stool issues too and has since birth as well. It took him 5 days to pass his meconium at birth. My guess is they will at least order an xray. They can see how full of stool he is and where. Then I'm guessing they may have you guys start on miralax and see how that goes and then add a stimulant like senna and see how he does on the combination of that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2_amazing_boys
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 11:27 AM
DS2 got it from BD side of the family. I found out yesterday that intestinal blockages run in the males on his side. ds has had problems since he was born and the idiots failed to mention it until i had done went thru all the hassel of getting the drs to believe me.

Quoting Mbpeaceful12:

My three-year-old is in the same situation. She does not have a bowel movement often. I thought she inherited from my husband (he could go every seven to twelve days and be fine).

Please keep us posted!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by Angie on Jul. 6, 2012 at 1:27 PM

i'm not sure what they would do. good luck, hope you get some answers.

DACIA79
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 1:42 PM
They will probably just do a consult and they might schedule a barium before doing anything else
Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NaturalMamaCZ
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 2:09 PM
So invasive and unnecessary. These procedures absolutely cause trauma that the body and mind remember. There are many things to do long before going this route. And money and insurance are NOT the important issue. If you want your child to really heal and not cause more harm, please go see a naturopathic doctor or a Chinese doctor or a BodyTalk practitioner. If you are confused, afraid or don't know how tomake this happen, please contact me further I will help. This Western path you are taking is a long track that will only cause more harm. Western medicine had its place but this is not it.Peace
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN