Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Potty training and Outings

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 5:53 AM
  • 9 Replies

I know the majority of people use the panty or nothing method while potty training but what do you do for unavoidable outings, naps, and bedtime?

by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 5:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
CreziaMommyTo2
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 6:24 AM
Underwear/panties for both kids. Naps & outings, at night time we use heavier cloth panties.
SookieRose
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 6:28 AM

They wear regular underwear. You don't wanna confuse your child. for naps and bedtimes, i let my kids potty before they even lay down, and when they wake up i take them to the bathroom. outings - same thing, have them use the potty before we go anywhere, and if they have to go while we are out, dh or i take them to the bathroom, and make sure they DO NOT SIT on the toilet(We HATE public Restrooms) But yea, potty train your child don't hinder them. good luck.

HappyMommy11111
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 6:55 AM

Mine is potty trained you have to do away with the pull ups completly. If you don't get rid of the pull ups they will get it and then slip backwards. Take them to the bathroom before nap and after nap. You have to ask them every few hours if they need to go just a little reminder. Don't say it in front of people it may embarass them. Just get down to there level and kind of ask them in a quite way. Outings pack extra clothes just in case after a while they will get use to it. I run mine to the bathroom and wipe the seat off and lay paper down before they sit on it. Mine throws a little tantrum when he is tired sometimes after a nap but still uses the bathroom. That is what happened this morning there was some crying I didn't need to go and yes sure enough did. Also don't push to much they will do it when there ready. Don't push just encourage. I was very insistent but not pushy. You can tell when there not very responsive to it. If that is the case you have to find a way for them to become interested. I use to keep our dog in the bathroom sometimes and our kid wanted to go visit our pet. I would say well if we go in there you have to use the potty. From then on my child needed to go potty all the time visiting our pet was a reward. Some kids like for you to give them coins to put in there piggy bank, some use stickers, and candy. Candy did not work for mine. If they see one of there older friends going they will want to be a big kid to and go all the time. Ours was completly trained and then went backward. The second go round he wanted to be like the friend and be a big kid and started going all the time.

mypbandj
by Jen on Jul. 7, 2012 at 9:30 AM
It's hard to go somewhere in the beginning. But they should be staying dry for several hours (a sign they are ready to potty train) so you could plan your trips to be right after they go potty. Others keep a potty seat in their car. If you dont want to use a disposable pull up you could slip plastic pants (the kind used for cloth diapers) over the underwear it helps contain the mess. Or you can buy cloth training pants. They're a cross between underwear and a
Cloth diaper. Some brands are: best bottoms trainers or fuzzibuns trickle free trainers or imse vimse trainers or blueberry trainers or super underwear.
For naps and bed I'd just use a pull up or cloth trainer. You can't night train a child anyway so you're just ruining your mattress otherwise.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tillymommie
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 9:40 PM

for bed time we bought a plastic zipper cover for the bed and laid down the cloth matress pads over sheets. If bed time is at 8 nothing to drink after 630 and make sure the go before before. Try to wake up before them and get them up and on the toilet first thing. once they get into the habit you should have very few accidents

armywife43
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 9:40 PM

after they were potty trained at home, and i was ready to train them while out, i put a pull up over the underwear, with extra underwear with me. saves the trouble of packing 50 outfits every time we went out just in case. make sure they go potty right before you leave. as soon as you get to your destination, find the bathroom. you need to know where it is just in case. have them try as soon as you get there and right before you leave. do this everywhere you go until you get home.

as for naps and bedtime, i didn't worry with it until they were trained during the day. honestly i didn't have to 'train' them at night (some say to wake them up in the middle of the night and have them go potty- i wouldn't recommend that however; i know someone who still woke their kid up at 8 to do this; this also gets them in the habit of waking up at night and would you really want that? my son does get up every now and then to pee and go back to bed, but it's not out of habit, it's out of having to go potty lol) i just stopped the drinks after dinner (dinner was at 6, bedtime was 8, so no big deal) and had them go potty before bed. my kids have maybe peed in the bed a handful of times since trained, and it was mainly on holidays/summer nights where i was a bit more lenient about it than i should have been. now at 4 and 5 though i don't mind giving them a small drink of water before bed. nap time they kinda did that one on their own. GL

Summergir1
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 12:30 AM

My son was kinda easy I really didn't much he just decided one day he was going to go potty and has been potty trained since. Now my daughter on the other hand refuses to go. She will sit but will not do anything. She will tell me when she goes in her diaper. I live in an apartment so I don't want her having accidents all over the carpet but she is over 3 years of age. I know she will when she is ready but all she talks about is going to school like her brother. I keep reminding her she has to go potty before she can go to school. It is like hitting a brick wall. I don't know where to go from here.

beeonit
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 1:34 AM

I think I lucked out with this one, on my DD's 3rd birthday I bought her a ton of princess underwear, I gave them to her and removed all diapers and changing table. I said "you're 3 now, we dont use diapers, dont go potty in your new panties" and, with the exception of one wet bed, and 3 panty poops in some weird phase at age 4, she never did. Best of luck to you!

.Angelica.
by Angie on Jul. 8, 2012 at 10:35 AM

for going out just put them in underwear, pack a few full changes of clothes and take them potty often.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)