Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

What TV shows have you banned and why?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 2:34 AM
  • 67 Replies
2 moms liked this

Just curious as to what shows you banned and why...

I have two kids (ds is 3 an dd is 2) and I have permanently banned Caillou from the house. There are many reasons but the main reason is because they always behave WORSE after watching him.  Another show that is banned is Thomas and Friends.  The main reason is that I do not like the class warfare (Steamies vs Diesels) angle the show projects and how rude they are toward each other. 

I spend more of my time trying undo the damage that both shows caused and I really don't see how they are "educational" at all... well, unless the lesson to be learned is "How to act like a whiny a-hole"... but I doubt that ;)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

Our Angel Babies (forever loved and forever missed)
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 2:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 2:47 AM
6 moms liked this

I don't ban shows.  I prefer them not to watch SpongeBob because the show is geared for older children (mine are 5 1/2 and 3) but my son likes it so I let him watch it sometimes.  I can't imagine my parenting being uprooted by a silly tv show so I don't put my energy in that direction.

JT95687
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 3:06 AM

The point I was trying to make was how rude the characters are and how it would affect my kids (perception) - after all, Caillou's parents hardly ever discipline him, he seems to run the entire household.  Therefore, I would have to spend time to make my kids aware that Calliou's or Thomas' behavior is not how we act in this household.  I would also have to remind them sometimes that my husband and I are the ones who run this household, not the kids! 

I don't watch SpongeBob but from what I have heard and read, the show was reported to make kids less intelligent because it is too "fast-moving" according to one article  - not sure if I buy that argument or not... but I would never let my kids watch that show because he is way too obnoxious for my liking, but that is just me ;) 

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

I don't ban shows.  I prefer them not to watch SpongeBob because the show is geared for older children (mine are 5 1/2 and 3) but my son likes it so I let him watch it sometimes.  I can't imagine my parenting being uprooted by a silly tv show so I don't put my energy in that direction.

stephy87
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 3:08 AM
I agree with sponge bob. My daughter prefers Dora, sprouts, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bekalynne440
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 3:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Instead of banned shows we just have a narow list of what they can watch, lol. We don't have cable anymore, but do have Netflix. The kids mostly watch Veggie Tales or Hermie and Friends. They also sometimes watch toy story, tinkerbell, American girl: kit kitterage, Annie, Matilda (that ones new, one of my childhood favorites, if bad behavior comes from it we'll put it up for when they're older), how its made, mythbusters and I think there are a couple others. At this young age they are so impressionable. I want to make sure my kids are being molded by the right things. Kids can pick up on the smallest of things. Bad words and habits are so easy to pick up, especially for toddlers, and no piece of cake to get rid of.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MorganShaye
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 3:26 AM

I let my daughter watch Felix the Cat one time. I thought "What the heck, its an older cartoon, how bad could it be?" Then she started started mimicing the fighting. She would punch and kick. So thats not allowed on the T.V. anymore. We now tend to stick with Dora, My little Ponies, Care bears, Blue's Clue's and Vegie Tales.

JT95687
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 3:28 AM

My kids LOVE How its Made and Mythbusters too, especially when stuff blows up ;) but I do have to remind them not to use the language that gets bleeped out :(

Quoting bekalynne440:

Instead of banned shows we just have a narow list of what they can watch, lol. We don't have cable anymore, but do have Netflix. The kids mostly watch Veggie Tales or Hermie and Friends. They also sometimes watch toy story, tinkerbell, American girl: kit kitterage, Annie, Matilda (that ones new, one of my childhood favorites, if bad behavior comes from it we'll put it up for when they're older), how its made, mythbusters and I think there are a couple others. At this young age they are so impressionable. I want to make sure my kids are being molded by the right things. Kids can pick up on the smallest of things. Bad words and habits are so easy to pick up, especially for toddlers, and no piece of cake to get rid of.

swmmra
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 4:16 AM
1 mom liked this

my house does not get to watch sponge bob. It is not a child cartoon, it was made and geared towards adults. 

jakesmom323
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 4:47 AM
2 moms liked this
To each their own, but the two shows you chose are harmless in our household and have a positive nature to them. The ones I HATE are Sponge Bob, Fish Tales (Disney), and Cartoon Network all together. I can't believe they are for children.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by Angie on Jul. 8, 2012 at 10:29 AM

we  only let him watch age appropriate shows

MooreMom523
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this

We don't watch a lot of things--not because they are "banned" but simply because we don't waste our limited TV time on things we feel are inappropriate. As in we don't have a list of banned shows. Karrigan is still fairly young so mostly we Netflix SuperWhy and Sesame Street and those keep her entertained for the limited TV she does watch.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)