Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Is your child going to preschool during summer?

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 1:34 PM
  • 16 Replies

Is the school open? Or clsoed for summer? Are you taking them? How often? Daily? How many hours? Or are you giving them a mental break?

I ask bc my daughter, who actually turns 4 in 2 days, (wow! time sure flies!) goes to a subsisidized, state-funded preschool and it's open during the summer.I kinda think if kids older than her get a whole summer off, to recupertae, relax, etc.,  then shouldn't she? And though I don't remember preschool age that well, i do rememebr thinking as a school-age kid how sumer was for relaxing and my aprents never put me through summer school (except once for math in going into 9th grade). She's been going everyday since last Semptember, almsot non-stop mon-fri 830 til 3 pm, usually more 9 til 230pm. I was working til june 29th and i start again at the end of this month, but for now I'm not (I work at a middle school part-time).

I told the teacher my feelings, and she totally udnerstood, and saids we the parents are "allowed" 2 weeks, or 10 days of vacation or what they label "best itnerest". If you take more than that, you have to state the reason for absence on the sign-in sheet when youd rop the kid off as another reason, even if fake, like cough, fever, etc. I guess bc it's state-funded and they want to make sure that kids there have parents whoa re fully using the resources or else they can give it someone who will(that's not what the teacehr said or even implied, but what i gatehr).

So far I've only given her 2 "best itnerest" or vacation days, bc the other 3 she spent sick vomiting and having a cough. Well monday today came and I decided tot ake ehr to school. At first she was relaly protesting, like "I wanna stay home with mommy" but the truth is, I ahd soem thigns related to ehr birthday that i ened to get done today and basically it's childcare for me too lol. I made it clear ina  nice way that it wanst really a choice, and I told her how she cans ee all ehr friends again and that they msis her. So she willingly went and when she got there she was happy. I actually didnt see most of ehr friends, it was a lot of new faces, but a couple friends of hers were there and she sat in to storytime and was smilingAlso aprt fo the reaosn is her brithday is coming up in 2 days and I wanted to clarify with the teacehr that I will be brining cupcakes for ehr and the other kids bc I thought that would be fun for her and she wants that too when ia sked her (I said "stay home in morning onbirthday or go tos chool with cupcakes") and she said "go to school with cupcakes".

Now I am sitting here feeling guitly for bringing her, when older kids than her get the day off.But it's not like she was kicking and screaming. She happily went.

Do you think i need to feel guilty? And is your small child going to preschool during sdummer too? What do you think of summer and school and kids this young?

by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 1:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nodramamama311
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 1:46 PM
No summer school here. Daughter is going into 5th grade when school starts, I will be home another year with my son. Can't wait for kinder!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ddhb2007
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 1:51 PM
3 moms liked this

My daughter goes to preschool every day because I work.  Her pre-school's summer program is all about fun, and I don't feel a single inkling of guilt.  She's an only child, and being with her friends is far more fun than being stuck at home with me every day if I chose to quit working.

sexysiren1983
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Quoting ddhb2007:

My daughter goes to preschool every day because I work.  Her pre-school's summer program is all about fun, and I don't feel a single inkling of guilt.  She's an only child, and being with her friends is far more fun than being stuck at home with me every day if I chose to quit working.

My kid is an only too. And you just reminded me of why I enrolled her in the first place----her social needs are really high right now, and though her 2 cousins 4 and 2 live nearby she does get kind of bored of them lol and likes to be with her friends. I forgot that since I'm not working right now and also broke (have to save what i have for her lil bday party, dont get paid til fri.), that she will be stuck here with me!

Kris_PBG
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 2:40 PM

I am a teacher, so I actually take my kiddo out for summer.  Academically they are much more geared towards "camp activties" over the summer and frankly - it is very expensive to keep him there when we can keep him home and keep him engaged in activities with his older brother. 

He starts pre-k 4 in August.

signingmama2915
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 3:06 PM
My older boy he goes to year round preschool but his last day is the 31st of this month. He starts kindergarten in mid August. My little guy is home wiyh me all day everyday.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Katt709
by Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 3:11 PM
My son is 3. He's been going to school every mwf from 8-11:30 since last August. I don't plan to stop for any length of time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gavin423
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 3:16 PM

DS's preschool is closed for the summer - a long one actually, from mid-may to end of August. He's still not quite understanding why he can't be in school right now, he seems to think he's being punished or something, lol. He misses it.

Bmama1
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 3:17 PM
My kids aren't school yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
abbysmommy429
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 3:35 PM
Dd's preschool is closed for the summer; they follow the regular school calendar. She is 3, so she needs a summer break!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by Angie on Jul. 9, 2012 at 3:55 PM

we aren't doing preschool

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN